Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tiemishuu
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone back again with a new problem with my zx600a1.
It has been making a grinding noise every so often when attempting to crank/start the bike and now today it wont do a full rotation
I narrowed the problem down to either starter not being able to turn the engine over all the time or the starter clutch inside the engine is not operating properly
I took the starter off to check it turns when it gets power and it does
also tried spinning the one way starter clutch and it only spins the one way so I assume it should be operating fine

I tried multiple good known batteries and still have this issue.
i have another starter clutch to swap in but I really would like to not have to pull the cases apart again :/

any ideas?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hows the ground connection? if there isnt a solid enough ground the starter can stiill angage but not fully engage or fully return. Even if the ground cable looks good on the outside with no cuts or anything and the connections good it could still be corroded inside the insulation to not give a good ground. That's really all I got man. Best of luck.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
If ya can find an opening on the starter or loosen it a little and pump that sucker full of WD-40 then blow it out with an air hose...

...or if ur starter savvy pull it apart and clean it, check the brushes and give er a bit of grease, then hit it with a good battery it should try to jump out of ur hand, if not get a new one, good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Tiemishuu
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hows the ground connection? if there isnt a solid enough ground the starter can stiill angage but not fully engage or fully return. Even if the ground cable looks good on the outside with no cuts or anything and the connections good it could still be corroded inside the insulation to not give a good ground. That's really all I got man. Best of luck.
If ya can find an opening on the starter or loosen it a little and pump that sucker full of WD-40 then blow it out with an air hose...

...or if ur starter savvy pull it apart and clean it, check the brushes and give er a bit of grease, then hit it with a good battery it should try to jump out of ur hand, if not get a new one, good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
thank you guys for your responses
i decided to work on it tonight so I pulled the pan to see what is going on and when i hit the starter button the starter clutch just spins and doesnt engage how it should so that tells me the problem is the starter clutch.
I found a way to take it out without having to split the case and I swapped the starter clutch from my original engine and bam it worked plus cranked harder than before :)
I am going to dismantle the broken starter clutch later to see what went wrong with it
hopefully this problem does not happen again

·
Registered
740 Posts
A grinding, bag-of-rocks noise while cranking is almost always the starter clutch. Virtually every motorcycle has one, this problem is particularly common on older Yamaha's.

Sometimes it's from the clutch ring just getting loose and being able to wiggle around, which screws up the action and makes it slip. Tightening the mounts fixes it. Sometimes the ring can get a crack in it, usually from it being loose for a while and banging around. Just sitting there it may be difficult to see, but under load it spreads open just enough to lose tension and slip. And sometimes, usually on really high miles motors, the little rollers can get flat spots that slide instead of bind like they're supposed to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts