Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nevermind the starter relay i fixed it, the earth wasnt on properly.

Could anyone tell me which fuses the GS500E 98 uses too btw?

Also i would add pictures of said relay and brake calipper.

The problem with the caliper is that the piston is seized, i think, the front brake was sticking i took it apart the shoes are rusted to shit so ive ordered some new ones of them But i pumped the lever and the piston came out. Now its stuck, how do i get it unstuck so i can get new shoes into it?
Will add pictures after work of both items.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
That caliper is pretty rough man, don't skimp on front brakes, I'd recommend at least a rebuild consisting of all seals and both pistons. Personally I'd be looking for a clean replacement.
The sides of those rusted out pistons need to be a very precision fit, even if you remove the rust they're pitted beyond help. There is a good chance your rotor is damaged too, look into it.
Don't risk anything when it comes to front brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
That caliper is pretty rough man, don't skimp on front brakes, I'd recommend at least a rebuild consisting of all seals and both pistons. Personally I'd be looking for a clean replacement.
The sides of those rusted out pistons need to be a very precision fit, even if you remove the rust they're pitted beyond help. There is a good chance your rotor is damaged too, look into it.
Don't risk anything when it comes to front brakes.
What he said.

Do it like this -

Pull the pistons both out, they are both fucked. Get them out by whatever means necessary. The best way is put the caliper back on, bleed it, and use hydraulic pressure to force both as far as possible. If you can't do this or don't want to, then just grab them with molegrips (vise grips) and pull, twisting and turning, til they come out. Sometimes that does work, sometimes not. Otherwise get a large rawlplug, turn it until it expands and locks in the piston, then stick that in a vice and twist and tug.

Replace with stainless pistons, like this:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gs_500_el_em/89-91/

It's going to cost you about £50, so it may be worth considering what upgrades you can use, or looking if a more modern Suzi uses the same caliper. Any used caliper from 1989 especially off a suzi is going to be fucked by now.

When you've got it all apart, give it a real thorough bath, and then use a toothbrush sized wire brush to clean out the seal grooves, dry thoroughly before fitting the new seals. Put it all back together using clean brake fluid for lube. Keep brake fluid off your skin, and if you don't trust yourself then wear goggles too, as it's really nasty shit.

With that done, you brakes will be much improved. That being a sliding caliper, I would also be looking if the sliding pins are in OK condition, and maybe replacing the boots and re packing with red grease (regular grease eats rubber). Also note the holes will go oval leaving the caliper wobbly if it's been run for any time without (enough) grease in there, and at that point there's nothing you can do but replace the bracket.

You are also going to need to derust and paint that pad guide pin, or the pads will grip on it and not operate correctly.

Dude, it has been a good while since I saw a caliper like that on a bike which was actually being used. It is scary, and I wouldn't put it back on without a serious clean. Here is a picture of a similar cailper on the back of my old T595, to show how clean the minimum reassembly standard really should be. If a piston is not perfect then it is a failure waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
That does look to me A LOT like a curvy SV650 caliper.

Maybe look into that for a cheaper / better replacement used part on eBay, or find out what the SV650 boys are doing for better brakes on original forks? That is if I am right, someone on here should know!

This kind of thing would do it...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455430

if the guy wants to sell you a single part. If you do it, go with a gold nissin caliper off a 929/954, and a 1/2" master cylinder off a Honda for the best performance, if yours isn't already fitted with a 1/2" master from factory (I think it's 11mm which is too small for those calipers). The Tokico caliper pictured is good performing while it works, but corrodes badly in the winter. I've tried both types on various fireblades and blade-forked bikes, the gold calipers are awesome and very light.

If you wanted to stick with your original 11mm master, you could use a 92-97 fireblade caliper, or the vtr1000f firestorm calipers are the same but painted a nice gold colour.

HTH!

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If SV650 calipers work, I have a good pair off my 00 I can sell you. They have almost brand new pads in them too.
Hope your in the UK if so Pm me.

What ive deduced from this thread with my absolute none existant knowledge of brakes ( my worst area in mechanics)

I need to either buy new ones, or find some that fit my bike from another model? Or buy aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Them's fightin' words partner.
Sorry bud, but I have bad experience with Suzuki brakes. I guess it's be fairer to put it on Tokico really but there you have it. In any case in a direct comparison when they fit ALWAYS take nissin brakes from a Honda rather than Tokico off a Suzuki. Ain't a coincidence people are retro fitting nissin calipers to zzr bikes neither, those have a different design of Tokico caliper, but cast from the same cheese.

Glock, yes you need to either a) totally rebuild that caliper and even then it may be beyond hope or b) get a newer one from used spares or c) upgrade to something else. Depends on your budget but for me brakes are always first or at least very high on the list of to do's. So I know what I'd do, and have done on various bikes myself. You're goin to have to spend money so why not do it right?

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking about buying a new model of brake just have no idea what fits. But ive seen some cheap used parts on ebay. They look about as nasty as mine and they are described as "Working". Mine surely isn't working lol.
Here's a video for you all :)

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Btw, i got the piston out and cleaned them for now. Got some new pistons and seals on order. The seals were dry and wouldn't let the piston slide back in they are in very good condition where the rust didn't settle in and they cleaned up really nice.

Thanks for all the help. There's no rush to get this bike back on the road so in the meantime ill be trying to find a different caliper.

·
639 Posts
I just posted this link in another thread but check gstwin.com there is all kinds of useful stuff for the bike.

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This brake is highly non amusing. Im struggling to find a retaining pin for the front caliper, Im pretty sure it didn't have one when i removed it as i place all parts in designated areas in my toolbox.

Does anyone know where i can find a cheap replacement caliper? Ive just bought shoes for the brake and the pin i thought was the right one isn't right at all.

Does anyone have a picture of the retaining pin? or a GS500 they can dismantle and take a picture of with measurements please? Then i can get one fabricated or find one from another bike that fits mine.

This is getting me so angry lol :(

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
This brake is highly non amusing. Im struggling to find a retaining pin for the front caliper, Im pretty sure it didn't have one when i removed it as i place all parts in designated areas in my toolbox.

Does anyone know where i can find a cheap replacement caliper? Ive just bought shoes for the brake and the pin i thought was the right one isn't right at all.

Does anyone have a picture of the retaining pin? or a GS500 they can dismantle and take a picture of with measurements please? Then i can get one fabricated or find one from another bike that fits mine.

This is getting me so angry lol :(

Dude, we've told you how to sort it. Get on eBay and find a used SV caliper to be getting along with. If you want it betterer, get an adaptor and a gold nissin off a 929 with matching master.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts