Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna start this bike on fire one day!!! (97 GSXR 1100)

Anywhose....today I go to start my bike and the starter just runs/spins, doesn't engage the the engine to turn it over. So I rocked the bike back and forth, and tried again....pushed the starter button and she started.....so off to work I go. Tried it at work 3 hrs later....same shit! Rock the bike, push the starter button and she fires up. So I brought it back home now, and I'm gonna tear it apart soon, but my question is, what is wrong....starter? or starter clutch? Anyone have any opinions before I go on ordering parts I won't need in the end.....fuckin money pit of a bike! Plus she ran EXTREMELY hot today...not normal, which maybe tells me something is seized somewhere? (starter clutch?) and a racket of a ticking noise...increases in noise level and speed with throttle...exhaust leak?

Thanks!!!
Ryan

·
Registered
526 Posts
Catch it on fire at the meet. Then well have a bond fire to. :rock:

·
BikerfromtheBX
61 Posts
I dont really know exactly whats wrong but it sounds like the starter my have somehow moved out place, if anything i would just remove the starter for now and have a mechanic look at it before you buy any parts.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
CdnStreetfighter said:
I'm gonna start this bike on fire one day!!! (97 GSXR 1100)

Anywhose....today I go to start my bike and the starter just runs/spins, doesn't engage the the engine to turn it over. So I rocked the bike back and forth, and tried again....pushed the starter button and she started.....so off to work I go. Tried it at work 3 hrs later....same shit! Rock the bike, push the starter button and she fires up. So I brought it back home now, and I'm gonna tear it apart soon, but my question is, what is wrong....starter? or starter clutch? Anyone have any opinions before I go on ordering parts I won't need in the end.....fuckin money pit of a bike! Plus she ran EXTREMELY hot today...not normal, which maybe tells me something is seized somewhere? (starter clutch?) and a racket of a ticking noise...increases in noise level and speed with throttle...exhaust leak?

Thanks!!!
Ryan

Running hot as in oil/coolant temp? Dragging starter wouldn't cause that.

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
I never had that problem with my 89 but the first Suzuki I owned spit the starter clutch.
Had to push start it after that
PM Spart 666 and explain the problem, he knows those bikes.....

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
make sure the bolt that holds the starter clutch is TIGHT. i had the same problem with my 7/12 once. with the stupily high compression i was running, every now and again the motor would kick back when i tried to start it, and the bolt would loosen just a hair. if it's even a tiny bit loose, the starter clutch will just spin on the end of the crank.

i'd also check the idler gear in the starter drive. if it's got teeth missing, that could be part of your problem too.

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL well I'll probably be for coffee, but no bike!

I took off the starter and generator, should I be able to turn over the gears on the starter clutch and have the generator turn as well? And there is a noise coming from the starter clutch as well, a faint ticking/tinging, I'm sure its much louder when the bike is running. Now I'm really thinking its the starter clutch :| What do you all think?

Ryan

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haleo, running hot as in coolant.....I put in an order for a new thermostat, I think that may be the culprit since it didn't do this while it was cooler outside.

Ryan

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
the starter clutch should spin freely one way, but not the other. it's got a one way bearing setup in it so that it can spin free while the motor is running. it's just a ramped bearing assembly. if it's worn outand not grabbing like it should, you're gonna have the problems you described.

make sure everything is tightened down and in good shape visually. if you still have the same problem, i'd put my money on the starter clutch. at least that's a simple fix. should be able to swap that out in about a half hour or so.

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, I can move that "gear" both ways freely, so I'm thinking its the starter clutch now too. I re-installed the starter and generator, lo-and-behold the starter will spin the generator, but won't turn over the engine! Sunnabitch!!! Just get it running nice and another thing rears its ugly head. At least its getting painted next week, it'll give me a lot of time to get this fixed. Good thing I found one on ebay!!!

Ryan

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
is the center bolt REALLY tight?

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, I gotta remove the side of the crankcase to check that bolt, so it'll be moved into a nice big garage tomorrow night, and I'll check that centre bolt to be sure....and I may as well start stripping it down and get it ready for paint LOL

Ryan

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
If you're going in there, is it possible for you to just replace everything? It's always nice to know you have a new starter assembly.

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to do that, BUT....I don't have an extra $450 for a new starter assembly :angry: I do know one thing though, this bike is GONE next spring, its starting to nickle and dime me to death already. Time for a new one!

Ryan

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no doubt! Pisses me off though, one more thing fucks up and its up for sale! Totally frustrated with this bike! This is the LAST insurance buy-back I purchase to fix up...and to think I was thinking of keeping it! LOL

Ryan

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
K-series gixxers are starting to get more affordable for low-mileage used. They're a lot more reliable than that heap.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts