Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I found a 2008 ZZR600 with 450 original miles on it, one owner, clean title. It was laid over in some dirt and damaged the tail/subframe and fairings/headlight. The guy had it stored in his shop for 6 years without doing any proper prep for storage. He told me motor was good and carbs need cleaned and new battery. Got down there and saw at the oil window that it was full of water (completely clear). I put it in gear and rolled it to check to see if the motor was frozen but it wasn't. I was a little pissed off I drove 2.5 hours and found that and gave him my im pissed offer of $100 for the bike for parts. He said sold (kinda scratched my head for a second but whatever). Anyways, got the bike back home. Looking for tips/tricks/suggestions to see if I can maybe save this motor.

Here's the current plan:

Drain and replace oil and filter (should I pour some gas or something in to help flush out?)
Drain and clean gas tank
Replace Fuel line
Remove and clean carbs/jets
Pull plugs and spray Kroil/WD40 into cylinders once a day for 3 days and pour maybe a teaspoon of Marvel mystery oil into each cylinder
After a few days put it in gear and roll it to manually turn over motor and lube cylinders/rings
Pour a little motor oil into each cylinder
New plugs
Fresh gas
Try and fire her up
If it does fire up, run the motor for about ten minutes or so then drail and replace oil (maybe add a little Marvel Mystery oil to help free anything stuck up)
Run bike for a little while then drail oil and replace it and filter again
Frequent oil changes for a few weeks once it's back on the road

Any other thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
For that price, it's worth it. UF is right though, but worst case you buy a used motor and swap it in. You've still only put $600 (tops) into a street legal, clean titled bike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yes I know the motor is a crapshoot, I bought it simply because for $100 I can part it and make plenty of money on it. It will be fun to see if I can revive it, if not....well it's $100 lol. Like Matt said I can pick up a motor cheap and swap in if I want as wel

John, do they sell that at Auto Zone or Oreillys or anywhere?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled carbs and water/sludge/gunk came pouring out. Cylinders filled completey, valves look rusted. It's toast. Anyone need some ZZR 600 parts lol?

·
Registered
388 Posts
My gauge cluster has massive road rash on the ZX6R I got last year for 200$.

Looking on ebay, gauges that work are over 100$.

Want to sell yours or trade for anything?

Jon

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am wondering, did you part this bike out already?

Good score anyway. I am still interested. maybe the chain/sprockets also.

Jon

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
I just started working on a bike that sat for 3 years..(my 929)..I HAD changed the oil and topped it off as much as possible before parking it. Lubed most everything I could. Got the tires off the ground. Drained the tank.

So in prepping to start it I popped the plugs out and put a small amount of syn 1040 down the cylinders and let it sit. buttoned it back up. Reassembled the bike. Popped on the tank and put in a small amount of gas. New battery obviously...opped for a shorai because I could see the old one had been moving around under there from vertical movement ;)

Time to fire- two days later. Took it outside...flipped on the ignition, let it prime a couple times andgave it a few tries. Nada. WOUldn't fire. It was cranking just fine but not igniting. Possibly oil soaked the plugs? Oh yeah, and it's PISSING fuel out from under the tank somewhere....not the connections. The fuel pressure regulator seems tohave went. Of course the internal dia prob dried up. Sooo order one and wait a couple days.

swapped the plugs out with iridiums this time. . .yes the first ones were oil soaked :facepalm:

BOoM! fires runs. Idles just fine! let it run up to temp and kill it. BIke seems good so I helmeted up after running it through the revs in the driveway.

On the ride tho thing has a flat spot in the middle ofthe rev range.....falls on its face. .. but will catch upif you hold it and really tear like nothing happened.

not sure what that is. Guessing some type of fuel ... or poss air prob. Got a pair valve delete kit from PSR and will probably install a new air filter while I"m doing that. Hope thats the ticket...not surethough.

Keep ya posted.

Sure was nice to ride it though, perfect or not, Iwas smiling like a motherfucker!
:metal:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts