Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright its been a few years since ive been into and done any kind of bike building. Anyhow what im dealing with is a perfect setup damn near. However a bit outside my realm of what i know how to do. Im picking up 2 bikes for 400.00.

Bike one basket case: 1987 gsx-r 1100 already torn down to frame and have everything. So my starting base is good and i have all parts.

Bike two basket case: wrecked and was abandoned. Could have been ridden as was. Mechanically was fine. So came with junk title. 2003 suzuki bandit 1200. Again complete bike both bikes ran both torn down to the frames and everything is seperated.

So from what ive read yes i can put the 1200 on the frame. Can i run the forks and swing arm without any major mods as well? More or less i js want the gsxr frame with bandit everythig else.

If anyone has links or disgrams for wiring or mock ups or fork installs anything like that. Swingamrs etc. Or even if someone else has this same kind of build write up thatd be fantastic. As im know this swap has been done before. Im js currently on my phone typing this up.

Ill post pics of everything this weekend to show what i have im literally starting at ground zero and its putting it all back together with the newr parts so ive got no starting point reference. Im. Skilled at building things but a novice at one this extensive. But hey for 400.00 wtf do i gotta lose.

Thanks in advance.

·
durty south psychofighter
1,120 Posts
You can make anything fit it just depends on the amount of work you want to put in. Personally I'd recommend running USD forks on the front and pretty sure the swingarm well fit with minor modification. It really boils down to what you want from the bike, do some searching in the members build threads to see what people have done and go from there. Also DW

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the steering stem of the Bandit and the GSXR are different in length so you would have to swap them in order to run the Bandit forks in the GSXR frame. I am pretty confident that the swingarm and linkage differs quite a bit too.

Putting the wiring, wheels, and engine into the GSXR frame/swingarm/forks is pretty much a strait bolt in affair though, unless the harness has been cut it is nearly impossible (I would say it is impossible but people can do some insanely off the wall things) to not be able to figure out where things go and what they mount/bolt/plug into.

As for some cool part swapping, (depending on the year of 1100 engine) you can use the bare GSXR cams with Bandit cam gears in the Bandit engine and squeeze a few more peak ponies out of it while still retaining the airbox. Wheels, so long as the GSXR affair was a cable speedo up front, work with them and look quite good, if not identical to the factory GSXR affair.

Basically the list of all the parts you could fit together easily on the GSXR frame that would work well:

GSXR1100 frame w/ Bandit 1200 engine
Bandit wiring/coils/CDI/etc.
GSXR swingarm, Bandit rear wheel, whatever brake setup fits out of the two you have
GSXR forks (Or stem swapped Bandit forks)
Bandit front wheel
GSXR bodywork, tank/seat/tail
Bandit 1200 front brakes
GSXR rearsets, pegs, etc.
Bandit controls (brake and clutch side switchgear and levers, master cylinders)

Best of luck fitting it all into one frame and riding it. It is quite a few hours of work, but minimal if any fabrication required to make that combination fit together. ;)

:letsride:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
IIRC bandit forks are longer too so it will mess with the rake and trail of the GSXR geometry if you are able to swap it on. Then again maybe the old GSXR's did have longer forks. Not sure.

I've played with the oil cooled GSXR's quite a bit myself. Nothing as old as yours but if you search for a GSXR build by Ammadien he started with a frame like yours and used a Katana 1100 engine.

Or just quit while you're ahead and sell everything to me. :)

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
If, and that's a big if, his GSXR1100 is old enough, it may have RSU's rather than USD's, and I had a set for a bit and they look extremely similar to Bandit affair, but have adjusters for the damping. If the GSXR does have conventional RSU forks the Bandit swap may be viable just to have solid forks on it, but as RG said, USD's (or whatever is stock) would retain the correct geometry.

And I am far from having had my hands on that many bikes (well, maybe I have) but have had my hands on so many parts from so many years, makes, and models of Japanese motorcycles that it's like flipping through a rolodex in my head when someone asks me a question about parts or certain features of bikes I've dealt with.

90% of my confidence in the list I made of parts that would fit together comes directly from dealing with Air/Oil cooled Suzuki's. Despite the vast knowledge RacingGeek and I possess, I really wish Endo was still around. That guy had info that was on par with Sven. True guru's of these bikes for sure.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i brought a buddy with me today on his input and was saying very similarly the same thing. The bikes are mine and luckily enough parts there to sell on the side to break even easy. So think imma sell the 87 frame and go for a 90s style frame its more squared off plus the subrframe where the seat is can js be unbolted bs fabbing up on aluminum. My welder doesnt dick with aluminum at all. So i think imma keep the bandit shit and forks and wheels and swing arms and such scrap or sell the frame and look for the right style frame. But ill know more ina. Few days and dif on the threads alot more. Usually on a buikd i have a point of reference to start with. Both bikes are stripped to the frame and everything is there both harnesses and both engines headers etc. I mean literally 2 full bikes for 400.00 is beautiful. But ill keep posting and will be asking much more on the questions line of things. Sorry to be so noob but this is a bit beyond what ive done to this extent. Isually i habe a put together starting point to begin with. So thanks for the replies. Again on my phone so sorry for typos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts