Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone .. not sure where I should have posted this thread ... If I placed it in the wrong section sorry in advance ..

Well here is the story .. Last weekend... I took my bike to make a quick run to the store. .. To avoid the heavy traffic on the Highway, I took the back roads home.... well there is a very steep hill with a light and train tracks at the bottom... I wasn't worried because I have taken the road before .. but this time something happened that was not good .. Now I know this was 100 percent all my fault for not squeezing the tank more with my legs... But as I was coming to the bottom of the hill, I applied the front brakes .. and shifted to much weight on to my hand.. Adding more force in pressing the braked lever down, then pulling the lever in ... Then I hear a pop .. and the lever snaps ... .. well I applied the rear brake and slowed down enuff .. to put my foot down and stop at the bottom of the hill .. but I ended up tipping the bike over after making a complete stop .. my mirror broke off (handle bar end ) but the was the only damaged done to the bike..

Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else ?

here are some pics of the lever

and here is a vid of me riding the morning it happend..
http://youtu.be/KcbBrtwzOlc

·
Registered
346 Posts
Shit dude that's nuts unless it broke before and was fixed with jb weld(I've seen that so many times its sick) it shouldn't have broken. Has it been down before? Maybe it cracked last time. Well time for some crg billet ones :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Ive never seen it happen outside a crash either. Sounds to me like you have your lever rotated to far up. When you get the new one try rotating them down a little. What you are looking for is to not have to move your wrist when you grab for the lever. For most people thats about the same angle your arms are at when you grab the bars in your normal seated position.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Ive never seen it happen outside a crash either. Sounds to me like you have your lever rotated to far up. When you get the new one try rotating them down a little. What you are looking for is to not have to move your wrist when you grab for the lever. For most people thats about the same angle your arms are at when you grab the bars in your normal seated position.

I had one crack on me, not while riding though. I may have dropped the bike earlier causing the break, then finally did it in later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner before me did drop it. .. it might have been cracked and he didnt know..he would have changed it before selling it.....the brake lever felt off to me that morning. . I was go8ng to order new adjustable levers when I got back home.. lol everthing happens for a reason..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Agreed with the others that lever had to of hit something and cracked slightly then after constant use one hard pull snapped it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed with the others that lever had to of hit something and cracked slightly then after constant use one hard pull snapped it.

Well it wasn't the pull.. I think it was more of the pressure of pushing down on the lever while all my weight shifted on the steep hill ... Next time I pass by that hill I'll take a picture ..

I just installed the new lever today .. it was an OEM part .. and it just feels a lot different then the old one.. I can pull on the brake a hell of a lot easier and the adjustment dail is not stuck in the 1 spot ... tomorrow if it doesn't rain all take her for a nice ride after work ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.