Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can regualar sealed type bearings be used for steering? Im assuming no do to the pressure being placed on the side of the bearing rather than up or down from the middle- but does any one know for sure?

I am swapping the front end from another bike to my bike. I cannot for the life of me find the exact tapered roller bearings I need but have found a couple that should work. The bearings I need are IDxODxW - 30x55x14 and 26x55x14 - if any one can get a hold of these. Believe me ive searched for 2 days now over the course of 8 hours each day.

Besides swapping bearings I can bore the lower triple to accept the new forks or have custom races made for loose or caged bearings. No Idea where I could get this done at.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Or you could have a custom stem made. All balls has a bearing with a 35mm center with the correct 14mm width and 55mm od P/N 99-3523-5.

Cognito Moto makes custom stems for $190. Maybe a local machine shop would be cheaper but I've ordered stuff from them and they are easy to deal with.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No, straight roller bearings are not suitable for a steering stem. Too much lateral load, they wouldn't last long.

I'd suspect a custom or modified OEM stem to the original bike's dimensions would be the best way to go, if your new front end's yoke won't work with it.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Or you could have a custom stem made. All balls has a bearing with a 35mm center with the correct 14mm width and 55mm od P/N 99-3523-5.

Cognito Moto makes custom stems for $190. Maybe a local machine shop would be cheaper but I've ordered stuff from them and they are easy to deal with.
No, straight roller bearings are not suitable for a steering stem. Too much lateral load, they wouldn't last long.

I'd suspect a custom or modified OEM stem to the original bike's dimensions would be the best way to go, if your new front end's yoke won't work with it.
Triumph use a regular cartridge bearing for the top steering bearing on a few models including 955i. I had bearings go on mine, and the top one was 100%, it was the taper bearing on the bottom which had let go first.

If the part number in the above post is for the bottom bearing (I guess so since its bigger) then buy it and use a regular cartridge bearing in the top. Job done, and cheap!

Don't forget a cartridge bearing will need an accurately made central spacer similar to a wheel central spacer.

Reactions: shinyribs

·
Registered
388 Posts
A tapered roller would be trick though...... and expensive.

Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts