Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a damper for my bike from a guy off another board. I don't know exactly how it is supposed to work and Im 99% sure its on right but wanted to check.

Its a top mount style (not sure of the brand)
looks like this

Should there be any kind of movement in the shaft piece (not the internal rod but the big round outside piece)? I can rock mine front to back (nose to tail) and how tight should the steering be from side to side? It doesnt feel like it did much at all.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
You should be able to adjust just how much damping it does by turning the other end on the rod..the end that sticks out the back side. ( looks like a gold knurled end from your pic)

The outer case or what ever its called should be mounted pretty solid, otherwise, its making the damper less effective.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the piece that holds the rod to the mount that goes on the triple tree uses a bolt and nut. It has what looks like a spherical joint under the part that clamps onto the large rod and holds it to that other bracket. Ill take pics today and a video of the movement it has

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
:ttiwwop:

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

vid:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
god i can see alot of money going into this bike when i decide to rebuild it.....more to upgrades than custom stuff though

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I watched the little vid...front to back movement like that is OK, and even a hair side to side is OK...just as long as its not a lot of side to side movement. It should still do its job just fine the way it is.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
hows it work when you move the bars side to side?

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
hows it work when you move the bars side to side?
The end of the damper rod is mounted to a bracket that is mounted solid in front of the tank...on the tank mounts. The "body" of the damper has a mount that attaches to basically big washer with an arm on it, that goes on the steering stem, under the steering stem nut. When the bars are moved either direction, the "body" of the damper moves as well, and pivots on the steering stem mount..really, the mount pivots, and the unit just moves left or right..in a line.

That is the exact kind that I had on my track bike.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have to adjust it more because i can turn the handlebars full lock right but not left

1 - 12 of 12 Posts