Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need somebody to press out the steering stem from my 1200 bandit triple, and press that same steering stem into a different lower triple (gsxr).

I dont know where to take it ... there's lots of machine shops here in Erie,PA , but im not sure if they have done it before and I don't want them to try it on my stuff. :'(

can somebody PM me with a price? or just post up any advice for me on the thread?

if i did take it somewhere, how much would this simple request cost?? I rather just send it to a trusted member who can do this in their sleep.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Any halfway competent shop can pull this off. It's really very basic. Make sure to bring your top nut so they will have something to press against and not damage your threads. No need to remove the lower bearing since it will just slip off with the stem as it gets pressed.

Real world time of fiddling around and getting spacers and such lined up is probably around 15-20 MAX. Worse case scenario is they'd charge you for a full hour of labor which, in my area, is usually somewhere around $60/hour.

If you're not in a big rush and can't find it a way to get it done local I'll swap them for you. Would just be whatever shipping would cost you to get it to me and back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any halfway competent shop can pull this off. It's really very basic. Make sure to bring your top nut so they will have something to press against and not damage your threads. No need to remove the lower bearing since it will just slip off with the stem as it gets pressed.

Real world time of fiddling around and getting spacers and such lined up is probably around 15-20 MAX. Worse case scenario is they'd charge you for a full hour of labor which, in my area, is usually somewhere around $60/hour.

If you're not in a big rush and can't find it a way to get it done local I'll swap them for you. Would just be whatever shipping would cost you to get it to me and back.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, HELL YA :drinks:

I rather just take you up on your offer and ship it your way. I want it done right!

My GSXR forks/triple will be here sometime around Jan. 24 - 28th (so says ebay)

I will take what I need apart, and ship you everything you need. Thank you so much, I really appreciate the helping hand. This site has helped me greatly and members such as yourself have made it that much better . Thanks again, I will PM you and discuss details from there.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Hey dude, just got home with my...I mean your parts. I know this is self explanatory,but I'm just gonna double check anyway.

Bandit on the left, GSXR on the right.

You want me to put the Bandit stem in to GSXR lower. Do you want me to reinstall the original Bandit lower bearing and dust seal back on to that stem as well? I assume you do since you're putting it back into a Bandit frame, but just wanted to make sure before I swapped them. I didn't want to push them back on in case you were buying new bearings.

And then just leave all the other parts loose,right?

PM sent as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, you can press and swap everything necessary in order for my to simply slap the parts back onto the bandit.

I didn't notice any bearing races on the 1200 stem you have, so im assuming I just re-use my b6 ones that I took off previous

thanks for making so beyond easy for me, shiny. I owe ya

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Not a problem man. Glad to help.

When I was younger and first started dabbling in hotrods nobody would help the little snot nosed kid. I knew those guys had the answers/hookups I needed, but they weren't sharing. I swore I'd never be that guy.

Just doing my part to give back to the community here. It's all good.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
This is the kinda help each other outtery that I like this site for.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

THANK YOU SHINYRIBS!

dude is awesome. The moment he got the pacakge he did the deed, and returned it the next day with 2 day shipping.

Overall, im so happy and my faith in humanity has been restored.

thanks again shinyribs. Ill deff pay it forward when I see somebody struggling with something I can easily help with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts