Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question guys. I'm thinking about picking up a GSXR in need of work, taking the USD forks and putting them in my VTR. And then, to add a little value to the GSXR, putting my VTR front end in it. I figure the VTR forks aren't worth much, and a bike with no front end isn't worth much either. From my reading, the GSXR to VTR fork swap will be relatively easy. I would just need a 30x47mm bearing for the upper, and the lower bearing remains the same. Now, for the VTR to GSXR swap, it is more difficult. There is no 26x55mm bearing available. Nothing smaller than 30x55mm from what I have found. My idea is to get a 35x55mm bearing, and turn a bushing to fit it to the 26mm steering stem.

Has anyone done something like this? What material did you use? I already found a chunk of steel laying in the shop that would work perfect... Aluminum would be easier though.

The other option would be to make my own steering stem, but that seems to be more work than it's worth. And I would actually have to buy material...

·
Armourer
49 Posts
I'm working on a swap to put the front end from a Husqvarna on a VTR (coincidentally enough) which will involve making a new steering stem. I'm looking to use 4130, although that's probably overkill. I wouldn't use anything less than 1018 (which is pretty much "basic") steel. I definitely wouldn't use aluminum. You'll want to make sure the ID of your bushing is a press fit on the stock stem, so it doesn't turn inside the bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts