Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big n dumb
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for any one who has done a stem/fork swap. After pressing your stem into the new lower aluminium clamp what precautions have you taken to retain the stem in the clamp? The way I figure it there is pressure upwards on the stem trying to pull it up out of the lower requiring some method to keep it in the lower. My machinist thinks the best method would be to machine the new stem so it sticks through the lower approx. 10-15mm, machine a groove and use a big ass snap ring to prevent any movement. I'm also pretty paranoid about my own safety so I'm also thinking of having a roll pin installed through the lower and the stem.

Any thoughts or actual personal experience would be appreciated.

·
Cant leave shit alone!
1,320 Posts
Are you worried that the stem could pull through the lower yoke? Cause if it's pressed in and snug, once you put the top two or three nuts on, that shit isn't going anywhere. I don't think.

Sent from my Texas instruments calculator

·
Big n dumb
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's exactly what I'm worried about. I know that's how many triples are built but still............. One of the machine shop guys said to have threads cut and use threadlocker and then told me to stop worrying. So I think that's the route I'm going to take. I think...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts