Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need new tires for my FZR600 and I need your opinions on Avon Storm’s and Shinko Podium’s. I heard positive reviews about them; I just want to know which one is better all around tires. Price is not a big issue because http://4wheelonline.com is giving me a good offer. Any thoughts about the performance of these tires? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Shinko is cheap. That's the best thing I have to say about them.

Avon Storms seem to be a decent sport-touring tire, but they're expensive.

My next set will be Bridgestone T30 rear/S20 front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shinko is cheap. That's the best thing I have to say about them.

Avon Storms seem to be a decent sport-touring tire, but they're expensive.
My next set will be Bridgestone T30 rear/S20 front.
Yes, Shinko's are cheap. I just want to hear some real world experience regarding these tires.

I've never used those two tires, but I have had great results with Conti Motion tires. 3 new sets on 3 different bikes, no issues.
How many miles did you get out of them?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anytime money was hard I threw on contis, 3-4k miles a rear; great solid tire.

If money is no issue then why not grab a pirelli angel, pilot road 2, or something on that level? It's a little more money but with the longevity of them you're getting more for your money, and they're way better tires all around

·
Registered
388 Posts
I really liked my Bridgestone 014s, and they we available in the right sizes.

Heated up fast, will flat spot if you tour on them.

Now have BS 021s and will say the 160 width doesn't work well on the FZR.

Never tried the Shincos.

Jon

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Personally, it depends on how you ride. If you want some long distance, relatively cheap tires, the Podiums will do well as long as you don't ask them for too much traction.

If you like to go a bit fast and enjoy pushing the envelope a little more, steer clear of them. Shinko tires don't provide the best traction in my experience. I ran several Shinko Ravens and was amazed about the difference when I switched manufacturers.

With the 110 17" front and the 140 18" rear, there aren't many tire choices for you.

I would look into the Pirelli Sport Demons or the Bridgestone BT45s. The Avon Storms are going to be an incorrect profile for the bike at a 160 profile. (You can still spoon it on, but might be tight on chain clearance.)

If you have the means to swap out the front wheel to a YZF600R front wheel and the rear wheel to a GSF600 w/ GS500e cush drive or install a YZF600R rear end, you can open your options to a 120 17" front and 150 or 160 17" rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts