Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get some tips on how you guys store motors that you're not going to use for a while or that are waiting to be sold. Ive been storing my 05 636 motor with oil in just to make sure no seals or bearing dry\rust out. Which I think is right corre t if I'm wrong.

Now my question really comes into play with duc motor. It has an oil cooler and id like to sell it separately for more $$$ obviously. If I take it off the majority of the oil will drain right? Now if I sit on this motor and don't sell it for a while will it cause the motor to fuck up with not having oil in it?

Any help before I break the oil cooler loose would be great.

Thanks

·
boostin
304 Posts
your clutch may dry out..wait, aren't they dry clutch. .i don't know what im talking about.. i just throw my shit in a corner and shut the light off, never had a problem, my 636 motor sat for 2 years, gave it fuel and it ran like the day i wrecked it

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Thought you sold the bike minus front and rear?

Plug the oil cooler in/out holes and fill it up. Keep it inside. Fog the cylinders with some spray lube.

Why not sell the motor?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts

Plug the oil cooler in/out holes and fill it up. Keep it inside. Fog the cylinders with some spray lube.
+1

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Why not sell the motor?

My "friend" who I was going to sell it decided he's not going to answer the phone or text. I sent him a text saying if he didn't get back to by whatever date than ok just parting it out because I need the room. So I've been parting it out sold a good bit of it. OEM ducats parts fetch a pretty pennies so I'm not that passed I have to part it out I just didn't feel like putting the time in to do it but now I've got it broken all the way down to bare motor with the oil cooler.

I'm selling the motor its just that motors don't usually sell that quick and I don't want it get all shitty while I wait for a buyer.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would drain all fluids. ITs dry clutch so you do not need to worry about that. Foam in all the entrance and exits (head) put a few drops of ATF into the cylinders to keep rust at bay. Store in a clean and dry place.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
It's best to store it in a controlled environment where the temp stays pretty constant. It will prevent moister developing from temp changes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Unless you flushed the cooler with a degreaser, leftover oil residue will keep it rust free.

As for engines, you really don't need to do much. For long term (say a year or more), fogging the cylinders is a good idea. You can use special spray fog oil, with the engine idling you lightly spray it down the carb/TB for a few seconds, then rev it up a bit and blast the oil until it stalls the motor. Alternatively you can remove the spark plugs and pour a capful of regular motor oil into the cylinder, then bump it over a couple times with the starter.

Again, even if you drain the oil, everything in there still has a layer oil oily residue covering it...nothing is "dry".

Keeping it at a constant temperature is a good idea. Warming/cooling causes condensation to form in the cases and/or gas tank.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 09 848 does not have a dry clutch. Most newer ducatis do not have dry clutches but knowing that the oil residue will keep everything from drying rusting out. Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts