Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who has a 84 yamaha fj600 he is willing to practically give me. Is it possible to make this into something that can be used offroad? I could clean it up but I already have a street bike, just thought it would be cool to cross it over main concern is weight.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Take the money you would spend on making this bike a dirt bike, and the bike it's self and trade it for an actual dirt bike. In the end if a dirt bike is what you want then this is the answer.

If you like reading: Cool thread to look through from SMJ. Guy in India (iirc) took this,

and turned it into this, http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?125100-Commuter-bike-to-dirtbike-build

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Ive been thinking of doing something similar with my b4

Try searching for banditard 1000, I think?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
just because you can doesn't mean you should...

You would be far more happy with a dirtbike that's both road and dirt worthy than a heavy, stiff, low travel, under performing streetbike on the dirt.

The single streetbike to a dirt bike is kinda of cheating.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
dont do it. out of all the bikes, the fj600 was actually a really great street bike. good power and decent handling for the 80s. granted 70ish HP out of a 600 is nothing these days, but in 84 out of a 400lb aircooled 600 it was a beast! Plus trust me, i dont care how light you think you can get it, that will suck off road and the frame will probably break if you try to jump it. If you can really get it for $50 then get it, clean it up and flip it for a profit to get a dirt bike. Tons of dirt bikes out there for a grand or less.

crystal skull, banditard was a bandit 400 frame with an r1 motor setup to be like a supermoto. Lots and lots of work, but i dont know if i ever saw it finished or not.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "dirt bike". Some guys I knew put knobbies on an old sv650 and then started doing jumps in the woods on it. works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts