Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My name is Adam. This is my first post here (1 of many I imagine) so I guess I'll say a little about myself. I did six years in the Air Force and I'm now a current Chemical Engineering student living off that amazing GI Bill. heh

I have a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 636 (ZX6-R) that I am going to be transforming into a street fighter. I attached a photo of myself and the bike so you guys can check out what I'm working with. The bike looks different now as I've stripped it down but you can still see. To get a sense of what I do on the bike: I use it as my daily rider, rain or shine baby! And I also go out to the Twisties (roads, not track yet) frequently, I'm still working on dragging the knees; I'll drag my feet like no ones business tho... hehe. While I am a mechanically inclined person (I was a mechanic in the AF) I'm quite the beginner when it comes to working on bikes and such (so in other words I can do the work... but I'm not sure what the work is heh)

Thus far, I've taken the cowling and fenders off. I have a plan on what I want to do with the bike and I am going to outline it and hopefully get some good feedback!

This is what I plan on doing and the things I'll be needing:
BMX style handle bars (I've seen from browsing this forum they're called "dirty bars")
Triple clamp set
Handlebar mounting brackets
Gage mounting bracket
Handlebar grips/ends
Mirrors
Windshield
Headlight
Blinkers

Now here is where the questions come in:

1) I've noticed that there are two sizes on handle bars 7/8" and 1 1/8". From looking at pictures it doesn't seem there's anything mechanically different with them other than diameter. Is this the case, or is there something else that is going on there? Also, I've noticed there can be a large price gap between the two sizes, so is there really much of a difference other than aesthetics?

2) I've been riding naked for a little while now (the bike, not me) and it made me realize that riding without a windshield SUCKS. Once you get to around 80 mph on the freeway the wind resistance becomes nearly unbearable, and I've noticed with the massive increased drag force my gas mileage has taken a massive hit. This is where my question comes in: I've looked online and haven't really seen any good solutions on how to attach a windshield to the bike when the front is naked. My ideas were to perhaps fabricate a bar that I would be able to mount and bolt the windshield in, but my fabrication skills are slightly limited so I'm hoping I can find a different solution to this. Would you guys be able to give me some different ideas on how you've solved this problem?

So I guess I'll end there. These are my biggest obstacles to surpass for now. My dad is a machinist so he is going to be creating a mounting bracket for my gage and the handlebar mounting brackets. I tried to consult him about possibly fabricating a windshield mount as well, but he has yet to get back to me on that so I want to see what you genius' say.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to getting to know all you guys over the course of my build!

Attachments

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Hey I have one of those :)

Bar mounts, or risers as they are more popularly called. Can be purchased for pretty cheap, protaper or renthal are the big two, since ur dad is a machinist, I doubt he would have trouble drilling with holes in the top triple for u to mount the risers. I say have him do it with his skills and tools because u need them perfectly symmetrical as u might imagine. U buy the risers for whichever bars u decide (7/8" or 1 1/8")

U have found myself to like the 1 1/8" better because they come in more street friendly bends and less aggressive than the 7/8, but that's just how it feels to me. Even tho I have 7/8 bars on my r6, I rather the 1 1/8s I had on it last year.

For mounting windshield, headlight and gauges, some aluminum flat stock from the hardware store will be ur best friend (heat, vise, hammer, drill and angle grinder) and go H.A.M.

Hope that helps enough to get u started.

On another note, u got any extra parts? I need few things for my junker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually just reading some threads about how you can just drill through the existing triple clamp in order to install new bar risers. I did not think of doing something like that. That would save me a couple hundred bucks at least from having to buy a new triple clamp so I think I will go that route. I feel as if I could do the drilling myself, but like you said, might as well have the guy who has 30+ years experience doing this stuff do it than me fucking it all up :D

When you say 1 1/8" are less aggressive and come in more street friendly bends I assume you mean they don't stick out from the bike as much? I actually would prefer something like that as I live in CA and lane split all the time. How about handling wise, do you notice more/less control over using 1 1/8" instead of 7/8".

EDIT: As far as parts, I have all my stuff in storage right now but off the top of my head I know I have: both side fenders, stock mirrors, windshield, shitty after market headlamp I never put on.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I mean that they aren't as straight making them a bit more comfortable I think. But the width of them is up to u, u can get whatever and cut them down some if needed so they don't get u in trouble lane splitting.

Oh OK, I needed a tank and rearsets for my 636, have no need for lights or plastic tho since mine is a track bike with track bodywork

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I would prefer the slight backwards angle. So I think I'll look into the larger size. The other thing I was thinking about is the fact that I hate bar end mirrors so I need to get some that can mount to my bars. I assume they sell bar clamps for this. Can you just use the same bar mounts as you use to attach the bar to the triple clamp? If not, I imagine it could be kind of fun to design a clamp for it....

Wind was never a problem before I took my windshield off. I could easily do 85 on the freeway with one hand on the bars, but now I have to put a lot of effort into being able to do that. I live in Santa Rosa, btw. A few hours from you, and much closer to Hwy 1 :)

I'm gonna more research on parts and once I get what I need selected I'll come back and see if it's all groovy. I need the opinion of experts, heh

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
First off welcome in man. And second i'll try not to hold it against you that you were air force lol (i'm navy, part of the seabee's in particular). We have alot of military guys on here, active and vets

·
...from hell
215 Posts
Welcome to the CF man!

One thing to remember about dirty bars is for the most part they're all 7/8 at the end, the 1 1/8 are just fatter in the middle. This lets you have that extra beef and still run your stock 7/8 controls. Rental makes a "streetfighter" bar with a nice bend to em. I saw someone selling a set in the classifieds section for $20. Remember to brace the underside of the yoke after you get it drilled.

Read deep, it's all on here somewhere or another. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes, you guys are simply the best :D

So yeah, I figured out the fact that bars are tapered so despite them being 1 1/8" they taper down to 7/8" at the ends. That made things make a lot more sense cause I was trying to figured out why the hell I couldn't find any 1 1/8" fittings for the bike. So yeah, this is obviously a wonderful learning experience for me hah.

Since the first post I discovered that my dad is actually going to be machining an entire new triple clamp for me (originally I thought he was going to only do the brackets). So, that not only cuts like eleventy billion dollars out of my budget, I can say I have a truly unique triple clamp. Fucking sweet.

I have a new question for you guys now: I think I figured out how to solve the windshield problem without having to actually manufacture an entire new bracket. I found these searching around on the web but have a question about them:

https://www.moto-madness.com/dominator-light-smoke-dual-headlight-windscreen-p-304.html?cPath=7_339

How effective is the windshield on these? I notice that it's almost vertical and not curved towards the rider so I wonder, will that just create another drag effect on the bike or will the wind actually be dissipated properly?

oh, and Hicklife, don't worry, I would never take offense to something a Semen says :D. You guys are so cute with your ships and 800 uniforms.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I would recommend riding the bike a few hundred miles without a windscreen to see how the new riding position affects you. I'm 5'10" and I don't have any issues riding without a fairing in a straight up riding position. Over 110 mph and it gets rough, but anything under is fine, even for a sustained period of time. Are you really tall maybe?

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
I was actually just reading some threads about how you can just drill through the existing triple clamp in order to install new bar risers.
If you don't want to drill your existing top triple (you might want the option of going back to clip-ons if lane splitting is a bit awkward with MX bars) you should be able to get second hand triples on fleaBay for around $40-50. (I got one for my GSXR for £35 here in the UK).

As for wind blast - a fly screen should help quite a bit. It depends on the headlight you go for but you get something like this:

or this:

<EDIT> Didn't see the later replies. Looks like the top triple is sorted! :)

And going back to the flyscreen, it can take a little while to build up your neck muscles if you're used to hiding behind a fairing all the time. ;) </EDIT>

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
Deff work on your neck muscles...
just keep riding and they will stop hurting...
trust me lots of runs up to 150 and no windscreen at all...

Keep looking aroinaroind to see what you wanna do to your bike...
you will prob change mind a bunch of times..
good luck mate

·
Knows nothing....
2,132 Posts
Welcome to CF! Like you have noticed, there is a fook load of information on this website and yet there are constantly still innovative ideas every day! It's pretty awesome to see what people do.

Windscreens are alright. Fully fairing direct wind around the body. Without a windscreen, I've run my bike up to 140. It does take a little getting to use to however. On my Speed Triple, I have opted for a small windscreen with the 03-06 Z1000 headlight assembly. Breaks some of the wind and has a unique look. The bracket made was whatever my gf's dad had in his shop at the time. I will change it, but it was a start.

All in all, keep reading through threads, ask questions, and you'll learn quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts