Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please guys get this list populated, then make sticky and possibly force-read for new members.

We all have to start somewhere and many of us start with very limited knowledge of how to do certain things. In all things safety comes first. Please go through the list of things below that new riders typically don't think about and people get hurt, sometimes badly.

Item #1 wear gloves. Bolts break loose and you accidentally punch things with force. Save yourself stitches or broken fingers.

Item #2 do not get brake fluid on your rotor and ride. It is flammable and will burn or it may keep you from stopping.

Item #3 things stay very hot longer than you would think. Always tap to check temps

Item #4 don't run the bike with it on centerstand unless absolutely necessary. If you touch a moving chain you will lose fingers or wish you had.

Item #5 there are no stupid questions only stupid people. Ask the former, so that you aren't the latter... This site is full of good people with answers to your questions no matter how simple you may think they are or how embarrassed you may be. It's internets...not prom. You won't ever see us probably so no need to be embarassed if you need help.

Item #6 the slickest stuff on the road is in this order... Ice, gravel/sand, leaves, grass clippings, water

Guys help me out. One thread to prevent the serious noob injuries.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
When using a angle grinder keep spark in a direction that won't catch clothing on fire ( happened to me tonight lol)

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
#8 if your using a cut off wheel on a grinder..DO NOT FORCE THE WHEEL!!!! Let the wheel do the work with some light/moderate pressure.plus don't have your face near it. They will shatter or the will leave nasty canyons in your face.(seen it first hand and been a receiver of it)

#9 make sure you use the right grinding wheel for the material your working with. Carbon grinding wheels will clog up if used on aluminum and will eventually shatter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Keep shoe laces tight to your shoe when riding, tuck them in, tie them to the laces, etc. (if you don't wear riding boots!) as you may just find one of them caught on the pegs, levers, or the kickstand and end up not being able to put a foot down when you stop. Ask me how I know. :D

Invest in quality riding and work gloves. They each serve a purpose. A road rashed or severely burned/cut hand is useless in the shop and even more so on the handlebar. ;)

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Gloves and drills are not a good idea.

Mufflers are full of fiberglass. when cutting one open, wear long sleeves and gloves. If you get any fiberglass on your skin, wash with COLD water and dish soap

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
9. Blue Thead lock is your friend,

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
10. think about what your trying to acheive from start to finish, plan, and take your time.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Never ride under the influence of anything!!

Wear high top riding boots instead of low cut shoes even if wearing full length pants. You never know when your pants will ride up and a hot engine cover doesn't feel good. The boots also help support your ankle and will prevent you from rolling it.

Ask me about some of my scars on my legs!

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
I don't ride when Ive just had an argument or my head is all cloudy or I'm upset.

Never been in an accident (6 years)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Never assume something is off, check ! If in doubt check, if still in doubt ask for help. Tell someone you know where you are if doing something "dangerous". Have the necessary equipment to neutralise noxious products. List goes on... have fun while doing it though !!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
When riding chose your route carefully, i.e. roads that you have driven and know the speed limits construction etc

If you commute to work on your bike and have to ride after dark (I do this everytime I ride to work) know the roads you are riding on, pot holes, frost heaves, (think mini speed bumps) manhole covers tend to hide in the darkness.

Clean the bug guts off your helmet and faceshield.

Dress in layers

Never trust that the other guy sees you. Trust nobody behind the wheel.

When working on your bike:

Always consult the owner's manual, or service manual before you start any project

Have patience, stop and think.

Unplug all power tools when not in use. Lay grinders down with the wheel up.

Keep bolts, and screws organized

Take photos of something you want to put back together if you are taking it apart and leaving it that way while waiting for new parts or something to come back from paint etc

Keep your hand tools organized. Don't use a tool that is broken.

Penetrating oil can be your friend.

Get rid of oily rags right away

When welding wear long sleeves and good gloves and a good welding helmet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts