Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start the discussion here...

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Streetfighterkz's Gpz750 Resto-mod

I'm interested in that stock swingarm if you arent keeping it.
I'm definitely getting rid of it if my swingarm plan for the Gpz works out.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's a nice looking bike as is.

I was going to do a 5 spoke sssa and r6/1 wheels on my kz, but now i can't. :winko:
I may end up with a 8-spoke wheel if that makes a difference.:rock:

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm going through the carbs since I'm waiting on some parts. Does anyone have a suggestion on removing paint from the carb bodies? Some of it is ready flaking off but what isn't is being pretty stubborn. I don't want to remove the throttle plates so whatever method I use needs to be rubber and plastic safe.

Thanks.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
534 Posts

You may want to check the hardware store. They have some stuff for removing paint from household crap. Suppose to be natural and safe for plastic and rubber. I'll see if I can find the name of it. It's something weird that's all I can remember at the moment

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts

Throw 'em in a bath of Pine Sol. Won't wreck the rubber, removes all the munge, and will most likely take off the paint, too. Once you rinse them off, you just need to get some light oil on any bare steel to keep it from flash rusting, because the Pine Sol will take off everything. It's my go-to with dirty carbs I don't want to completely strip and rebuild.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts

+1 pn the pine sol trick, I used it on my h1 carbs and it worked great. If it doesn't strip the paint you try some castrol super clean, it cleans the aluminum nicely as we'll. nice work so far, love the sssa.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts

Throw 'em in a bath of Pine Sol. Won't wreck the rubber, removes all the munge, and will most likely take off the paint, too. Once you rinse them off, you just need to get some light oil on any bare steel to keep it from flash rusting, because the Pine Sol will take off everything. It's my go-to with dirty carbs I don't want to completely strip and rebuild.
This works hella good. I've used it on all my bst carbs and it perfect. I usually bring the whole bank to a bare carb rack, then dip them in a big plastic container for about 48 hours. I did it for less than 24 hours one time and they came out with this crazy white film almost looked like oxidation. Couldn't get it to come of too easily. Had to redip them for a whole 36-48 hours. Came off and looked good. Also cleaned all orifices with carb cleaner and/or can-o-air.

I also put in the choke plungers, emulsion tubes, jets and needles into a water bottle with the solution and just shook it up real good for a couple hours. Seemed to help loosen up the dirt and grime just enough to take a can of air of carb cleaner and spray it through to push it all out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see what can do to get some Pine-Sol.

Next question, since the Vfr upper shock mount is quite a way off from the stock Gpz mount, I'm trying to think of ways to fab a shock mount. I was just going to run a tube across the frame perpendicular to the upper seat tubes but I don't feel as if there is strength in the stock tubes for the force it'll see. Here's what I'm dealing with.

I did come up with an idea but not sure how well it'll work or how easy it'll be to fab since the shock and linkage is offset slightly from the center of the frame.

Any comments or suggestions?

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks UF! I forgot about Les's build. I was searching KzR but not really finding a nice solution.

I was thinking of using some 0.875''x0.083" tubing. On my 900 build, I just used mild steel but I'm thinking I may want to upgrade to 4130 since this isn't normal frame bracing.

Looks like I'll have to take some measurements and see what I can design and how much material I will need.

Later, Doug

·
Premium Member
661 Posts

Holt's set up is pretty sweet, I went the easy route on my KZ, the SV650 had an offset shock too. Rectangle channel and square tubing. It has lasted 2 years so far and no problems, not pretty but it works, heavy as hell too!

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Jrod,

What you did is pretty close to what I did on my Kz900. It's just that the VFR upper shock mount is very high and it makes it difficult to use the same approach without having a really long mounting tab with a bunch of twisting force into the crossmember.

Later, Doug

Reactions: Jrod
1 - 20 of 72 Posts