Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Managed to find a tail that's close to the one on the Twisted Synergy bike (the blue and white one I showed pics of a few posts ago.)

I remembered the early Kz750 twins had a similar shaped tail. So I PM'd Rabies and picked up his old tail piece for a great deal.

Here it is just laying on the original subframe with the seat on.

And one from the back minus the seat

It's wide enough at the front but narrows toward the back. Looks like I'll need to widen it less than an inch and cut part of it to fit the angle of the rear of the sear better.

Later, Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: rabies

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: My recent buy...

I started to think about the overall design of the bike. I obviously don't want to copy the Twisted Synergy bike but want to reuse some of the basic design ques.

I started with this photo...

Added a tail and tank from a stock Gsxr1100 photo and removed the subframe and gauges...

Then the creativity began and I got a basic overall shape...

There may be a few tweaks but below is what I'm shooting for. It has a custom tail made using the Kz750 tail as a base, trimmed down Zrx fairing and an Airtech race belly pan with a DanMoto GP exhaust. I went through 15 or so revisions before I got the paint scheme to look just right.

What's everyone think?

Later, Doug

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Re: My recent buy...

I like it other than the fact that the headlight fairing looks kinda bulky. Overall though I am digging it

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Did a bit of work today.

Cut some excess off the tail to be able to fit it under the seat and then cut the tail in half to fit over the subframe.

Test fit the tail onto the subframe.

I have three positions for the tail. Flat, slightly angled, and severely angled.

I think I like the slightly angled best.

Later, Doug

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Reactions: ROBBO

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I went on a holiday shopping spree for the Gsxr. I spent more than I should have but too late now. (Edit: But the deals were too good to pass up. )

Found these on the front porch today.

I opened them quicker than my actual Christmas presents.

Shown is a '92 Gsxr750 front end from Claytonisbob, '94 Gsxr750 swingarm and caliper bracket from eBay, and a Zrx1100 headlight from ZrxOA.

Not shown is the '92 Gsxr600 5.5" rear rim, '01 Gsxr600 gauge cluster and a Zrx1100 fairing and windscreen which have not arrived yet.

I did play around with the headlight and the frontend to see how close I can tuck in the light to the fork legs.

I didn't realize how big the Zrx light was from the front.

I still need to order a few small pieces and when everything arrives I should be able to slot the complete rearend right in.

Later, Doug

· Registered
4,657 Posts
As soon as get this ninja500 flipped I found one just like it minus the race stuff that I WANT

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I was able to get to the garage and play with the new belt sander I got for Christmas.

I started by cutting the ignition hoop and lugs off the top triple using a combo of a hacksaw, 4" angle grinder, and a bandsaw.

Then I used the belt sander to smooth out the rough bandsaw cut.

After that I cleaned up the sanded area with a mouse sander.

Now, for a small sneak peek of my gauge setup.

Later, Doug

· Hack in a barn
4,441 Posts
Subscribed!
Keep up the good work, I like where it's going from your concept pics that's for sure...

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I was fumbling through Google Images for frame sliders for the old oil cooled Gsxr's and wasn't finding much except some from GSG for $200!

I came across the Sato Racing website and was clicking random bike applications and stumbled across "Engine Sliders" for a B-King but again they were $200 but I really like the look.

So I tore open a frozen pizza box, grabbed a set of stock covers that came with the bike and started drawing.

Once I was happy with the look, I cut out the template and traced them onto some 3/8" 6061 plate. Then I took them and rough cut them using the bandsaw.

Used the stock covers and drill guides and drilled the mounting holes.

Next was final shaping on the band saw and finishing up with the belt sander. Then mocking up the slider base to the bike. (I only got the right one done as my garage is unheated and it was low-20's yesterday.)

I still need to chamfer the edges, finish the left side and buy some Delrin for the slider.

I'm not sure if the 3/8" is too thick but it's what I had...

Later, Doug

· Macaque
946 Posts
That'll look good. I like it.

I think you should make some cylindrical spacers that have a through hole for the mounting bolts you're using. Doing that will allow the alu plate to sit like .25 off the cover surface. That way, in compression, the cover isnt loaded at all, it'll be just the spacers.

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I think you should make some cylindrical spacers that have a through hole for the mounting bolts you're using. Doing that will allow the alu plate to sit like .25 off the cover surface. That way, in compression, the cover isn't loaded at all, it'll be just the spacers.
That's the plan. I froze out so I haven't made them. I have some 3/8" OD aluminum spacer tubing that just needs cut to length.

Good looking out though!

Later, Doug

Reactions: sidewayz

· Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I got a package from a member of ZRXOA yesterday. Inside was a slightly rashed and slightly cracked fairing, the small vent, and a ZG tinted windscreen for one heck of a deal. I was expecting just a bare fairing and OEM windscreen.

I held the fairing up to the USD front end and it looks huge. I'm going to hold it up to the bike and see how it looks. I have a feeling I'm going to end up sectioning the fairing both vertically and horizontally and cutting it down to make it small enough.

Later, Doug

Reactions: F'dup
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.