Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this little KE100 (road legal) lying around and i figured why not put a ridiculously huge motor in it so I bought a KDX400 (not road legal) parts bike for $250. The motor is huge but it can fit with some cutting of the frame but the things I need to cut are structural like this

and this

The bottom mounts are too narrow I figured I can remove and replace it with tubing to make the mounts wider? The top bar stops the engine from going in so that must be taken off, I was thinking of cutting it off then welding a brace sort of like this cb350 frame

Attempt #1

I have the motorcycle handling and chassis design book I'll look through but Im hoping i could get someone elses input

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not just cut head tube from 100 and put on the 400 frame?
even though i doubt ill get caught if i did it, its still illegal, im trying to keep a low status in order to get a few things wiped from my record for the next couple of years. Doing that also defeats the purpose of making this mini into a beast i mean how bad ass would it be seeing a bike that is mid thigh high stuffed with a huge engine?

·
addict
370 Posts
definitely agree on big engine in a little bike lol but is it really illegal? depending on where you live there are tons of people that cut the head tube off bikes and then build total customs from that with nothing left of the original bike so this would be very similar to that i even plan on building a reverse trike car from a bike when i get a new house and have been doing research and there are kit cars just like that some even have 4 wheels and are still registered as a bike lol not trying to sway your decision its your bike just something i was thinking of

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think in pa you must register it as a custom or something which requires an enhanced inspection (more time and money spent) which im not going through that crap. other than that they say its a similar offense to swapping VINs on a car.

I think when you put it onto another frame that already had a VIN (not making your own) then its illegal

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got working on this thing by chopping up the KE frame more today. I realized it would be easier to cut the majority of the KDX frame and weld it onto the KE frame. this is where i was thinking of cutting the frame in these locations.

pretty much cut the neck and main frame tube off and weld on to the KE100 neck and main frame tube

Cut in these places and make my own top subframe rails since the subframe on the kdx is wider which isnt hard

My real concern is that I need to title it as a special construction in PA.

here is the definition

"A vehicle not originally constructed by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles under a distinctive name and not materially altered from its original construction, but assembled from parts of various vehicles or kits, or both, and which would be commonly known as a ‘‘homemade’’ vehicle, such as the assembly of a dune buggy from the chassis of a manufactured vehicle and a fiberglass body kit, or the assembly of the chassis of a Mercury and the body of a Ford, and similar combination of makes and models."

so pretty much according to PA any custom vehicle must be titled as a special construction, I think I'm just going to say fuck it and weld the frames together because what cop is going to know what a KDX400 or a KE100 will look like? right? or am I just being stupid?

Surely the customs that are built on CF dont get titled differently?

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Don't know about the US but in France you can't modify the frame or an engine from another model and hope to get a title for it. Putting forks from another bike is technically illegal, then again most LEO can't tell the difference and those who can don't care because they would have done the same thing.
My only advice is don't crash it and you should be OK. And don't do a half ass job. If it looks the parts you will be OK.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yea you better be best friends with the inspection guy. Start buying him beers and inviting him over for bbq now. Cuz he's gonna know thats no longer a fucking ke100 when he inspects it. If you think you're just gonna make it look tidy and sneak this one past the inspection guy I think you're fooling yourselves. You know they often actually have knowledge of the make and model of the bike they are inspecting believe it or not. You're gonna need to find someone who is cool with it.

He's gonna notice you can't kick start this ke100 with your pinky finger. Then he's gonna notice how it wants to loop the fuck over. Then it will be up to him if he wants to look the other way or not.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I'm not saying it is or it isn't the right thing to do, but if it were me(and for the record I lived in PA for 10 years and had many modified streetfighters) I would just bring it to the local place. Chances are as long as it appears safe and not like it'll come back as a liability on the shop that issues the inspection sticker they wont give two shits. I had a chopped up, no gauges, no signals, questionable tail light, one tiny bar end mirror 900rr that had a nice shiny inspection sticker on it.

Or you could just not bother with inspection. Just don't be a bitch if you go this route and get caught.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.