Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a silly thing.. I sold the SV and the gixxer and now I'm bikeless. So..I'm looking around. I've just come across a 1970 cb175, it's apparently been sitting 20 years and stil has oil in the sump.. So if I pull it apart will I need to replace pistons etc even if they're ok?..

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
The clutch cover on the bike also houses the oil pump and sump screen. I would pull that off, make sure there is no debris in the bottom end, inspect the clutch friction plates, and put in a new gasket when reinstalling the cover. After that some fresh gas, oil, and a once over on the carbs should have it up and running in no time.

Truly one of the "bulletproof" vintage Honda engines out there. :thumbsup:

If someone managed to kill a cylinder (signature of that would be low compression) you may as well just keep looking for a new bike as it really isn't worth the time or the money to rebuild something like that unless you are hell bent on getting some good experience in engine rebuilding 101. ;)

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I bought a chopper a while back that had a CB 750 engine in it. I know for a fact it had been stored indoors and not run in 25 years.

I cleaned the carbs, replaced the fuel lines and de-siliconed the engine ( I hate that stuff) . She fired up on the third kick and ran like a champ for the short time I owned her. I pit about 1500 miles on it in a couple months.

Whenever I go to start an engine that's been sitting for a while I like to fog the cylinders and kick or crank it over several times before lighting the ignition. I usually do this for a day or two. Checking compression each time to assess if anything is changing or improving. Just to give it a little help and some lube on the rings. I use PB Blaster incase there's a stuck ring. Just my methods. I'm sure there are others. I hate to see a "dry " engine just fired up with no precursory help.

Good luck with it. I really hope it pans out for you. Keep us in the loop, please. I love to see old bikes getting life breathed back in to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts