Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i am still very new to these customizing things -_- but i was wondering where can i get info about if one subframe will fit on another bike? specifically i wanna know if the 06 gsxr tail / subframe will go onto my 05 f4i. I dont have a spare one to actually SEE if it will fit nor do i know anyone with the bike that will let me try... so im just wondering how do ppl go about changing / doing their subframe conversions?

thanks

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
There's no guide...that's the fun part. Get it, cut it, weld it. I put an R6 subframe and rear end on a 1995 Kawasaki ZX6E, which is a touring bike. It just takes some balls to cut off a subframe or its mounting points. After that, it's all prefitting and designing. Then, make or have brackets made and weld or bolt them to the frame. It's different every time...it's never* a direct bolt on!

*by never I mean 99.9999999%. I'm sure there's bikes that have "x" parts interchangeable, which is great, but you all know what I mean. If it was easy, we wouldn't be streetfighters would we? We'd all have custom choppers...'cause it's easy to pay someone else to build your personality into a bike...riiiiight...

It can definitely be done man....just put your mind to it, and do it. It never seems that easy but you won't get very far if you never try!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i am just very paranoid that if i do any modification and turns out nothing will work :D
when i get the cash ill give it a try with switching subframe... for now im gonna see if theres ANY way for me to mount the fairing it self onto my current subframe.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
endo said:
There's no guide...that's the fun part. Get it, cut it, weld it. I put an R6 subframe and rear end on a 1995 Kawasaki ZX6E, which is a touring bike. It just takes some balls to cut off a subframe or its mounting points. After that, it's all prefitting and designing. Then, make or have brackets made and weld or bolt them to the frame. It's different every time...it's never* a direct bolt on!

*by never I mean 99.9999999%. I'm sure there's bikes that have "x" parts interchangeable, which is great, but you all know what I mean. If it was easy, we wouldn't be streetfighters would we? We'd all have custom choppers...'cause it's easy to pay someone else to build your personality into a bike...riiiiight...

It can definitely be done man....just put your mind to it, and do it. It never seems that easy but you won't get very far if you never try!
ya ive welded a bunch of sub frames and frames for guys here

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
endo said:

thanks for the reply by the way :) did you do any cutting on ur subframe? im very new at this mechanics stuff (specially dealing with metal) i have only done electric mods (what i get for being electrical engineering major) and some simple mounting mods. just wanna get an idea what most ppl went through to get a different subframe mounted on and what problem ppl usually face :)

thanks

·
231 Posts
buy an extra subframe for your bike and mod it to accomidate the tail you want, bent/damaged ones are pretty easy to find on ebay

that's what im doing anyhow

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i think what im gonna do is mod my current subframe for the tail, if that fails "try" to find a gsxr subframe see if thatw orks, if ALL fails... buy a new f4i subframe and just switch it bak lol

need monehhhhh

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
endo said:
If it was easy, we wouldn't be streetfighters would we? We'd all have custom choppers...'cause it's easy to pay someone else to build your personality into a bike...riiiiight...

:metal: :Stupid: :metal:

·
British Rider
216 Posts
ya ded right there endo about the having balls thing ive just cut up my subframe on my bandit to fit an mv augusta seat unit and were worried sik when it came to doing the first cut but im chuffed to bits witth it now everything is welded together and lining up im lucky though my frame is steel and easy to weld

one big tip is to make sure ya keep looking down the bike to line things up b4 welding it together mark some centre lines on ya tank to mek it easyer to see if its all going on straight n use a string to mark it

just dont worry bout it and get stuk in too it when its done yal be chuffed

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
jiffty said:
:wtf: dude you are british:D

hes right though is you cut to much off it can always be welded back together,take your time and DONT RUSH itll ccome out awsome,whats your sub-frame made out of?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
measure twice, cut once! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts