Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never use it to hold up a passenger :)
Oh no one will ever be on the back of this bike.. Period.

Oh and one more thing... Will modding my current subframe (or if I buy the one in the link above) hurt or comprimise the structural integrity of the bike in any way? I'm not at all experienced with working on bikes...

·
Registered
27 Posts
there are a few weld points that i intend to saw behind, namely the first giant weld is where i plan to cut the bottom. i'll cut the top part of the subframe after the large cross bar. i'm assuming the metal behind those part don't do much support and give you a place to attach the grab bar.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Modifying your subframe will only effect the things that it holds up directly... Usually the seats.
The subframe doesn't have any structural effect on the rest of the frame.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Alright, I'm looking to mod my subframe on my bike(sv650s) and I found this link and this actually looks like a lot less of a headache that chopping up the one I have and/or trying to fabricate something...

What do you you guys think?

http://www.brgracing.com/sv650subframe.html

Why is that less of a pain? What tail will you be using?

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Modifying your subframe will only effect the things that it holds up directly... Usually the seats.
The subframe doesn't have any structural effect on the rest of the frame.

I don't agree with that. They stiffen the frame without a doubt. They have a design value to them that helps the frame.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
+1

I WOULD think that it definately would stiffen things up a BIT.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I personally don't think the subframe adds to the stiffness of the modern frames. The motor itself is a stressed member, an adds to the rigidity of the frame, but I doubt the subframe does. Most of the mounts for the subframe are so close together(top to bottom), the amount they add is next to nothing. The swingarm actually does a lot more, along with the motor, again, to add to frame rigidity.

Just my two cents. :rock:

·
Registered
854 Posts
there are a few weld points that i intend to saw behind, namely the first giant weld is where i plan to cut the bottom. i'll cut the top part of the subframe after the large cross bar. i'm assuming the metal behind those part don't do much support and give you a place to attach the grab bar.
Are you taking it somewhere to have the work done or do you have the tools yourself?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i think i have access to a high school shop cause i sure as heck don't have the tools. i also think a friend of a friend has heavier duty tools. but these plans might be a distant future type of thing mostly because the bike is my daily driver. i don't like the idea of keeping it on blocks for weeks while i mess with it. i didn't ride my bike for 2 weeks while waiting for a chain and that was hell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts