Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wants to ride now so I need a bike for 2 up. Im a kawi guy, and an oldschool guy but i love the old hondas too. Looking for suggestions on what to look for. Kinda thinking katana, or sv650...but it will be fall before I buy so make suggestions so i can check stuff out. Def will be looking at solo cowls or possibly building a rear removable subframe to go from 2up back to badass.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
anything 600cc and up really. i mean you can ride 2 up on smaller bikes but riding 2 up on a 250 isnt exactly fun. assuming that you are going to fighter this bike and most likely risers and dirty bars heres a short list that i can think of
suzuki
gsxr 600, 750, 1000, 1100
bandit 600, 1200, 1250
sv 650, 1100
tl1000s and r
gs any size really
katana any size

this is taking too long. pretty much anything 600 and up just to be safe

Reactions: DecepticonDon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ya you definitely want to be somewhere above 80whp if you want to have any fun. Even my 650r was a little sluggish with a girl on the back, and none of them more than 115bs. If your into Kawasaki, my z1000 takes pillions without thinking about it, and is a quick swap between solo cowl and a pillion that doesnt really look that bad. If your into old school Kawa, maybe zrx1200 or something?

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Actually be nice to your wifes lady parts and get something with a thicker rear seat pad. The older sport bikes were kings of comfort compared to the newer 200+ crowd we have nowadays.
250 ninja isn't bad to ride 2 up, still about as fast as an average car, just pay attention to shift points and power band a bit more.
500 ninjas much better than 250s, again watch the shifting a bit more than usual.
600 4's are about perfect, youll want a reasonable amount of oomph to get up steep ass hills, but anything really would work. Make sure its got rear pegs, and a cushy seat and your gravy. Plus liter bikes and fresh passengers not used to it will HATE liter bike power.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Unless you both have small frames I suggest not getting an SV650. Dont get me wrong, I love mine BUT I HATED riding 2 up on it with my ex. I'm 6 ft tall 190(or was) and She was like 5 ft 5 140 and it just wasnt big enough. If you've been riding a while and are comfortable getting one I recommend getting a large bike. It's not so much the engine displacement you need to look for, it's the size of the bike overall that makes for comfy 2 up riding. Just my 2 cents.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I used to ride two up on my Ninja 500 without any issues... My ex and I used to ride all the time... me at 250, her at 130... People over-state the need for power.... Unless you two are all about triple digits and power wheelies, you really don't need that much power.

Comfort is a big part of it... I find bar height to be the big issue for driver and somewhat of an issue for pillion too. Big issue for the pillion is the seat itself, and the pegs...

For two up, bars, the higher the better. If you're all leaned over the tank, inevitably your passenger will be riding your back like a baby chimp. That adds a lot of pressure to your arms and if you're riding right to begin with, it will be very awkward having that weight on your hands. It can be tiresome.

Banana seats are good for two-up... gives both parties a little more room to adjust positions comfortably to reduce fatigue. In general, sportbikes suck here... banana seat or no... If you do go with a straight on sportbike, the older the better. Your mention of Katana's is certainly a positive first step... However, if you're looking at this being a 2nd (or 3rd or whatever) bike in your stable, I'd buy something a bit different assuming you already have a sportbike.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I've been discussing this with my girl, she's unsure of getting her m permit. So I thot of a brilliant solution. Get a nice v twin cruiser to haul our asses and if she does decide to ride herself, she can learn on my 250 and I can bobber the cruiser. Win-win! :D

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im narrowing the search down quickly. Looking as cb750four xs650 z1 and similarly styled bikes. Anything to avoid/look for? Models to stay away from ot snap up at first chance?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I hate Yamahas but thats just me. Ive owned 3 and they were all pieces of shit. I agree with what sick said about being upright as possible. Dirty bars help with that though I have them on my SV and it still didnt negate the fact that its a small bike and a sportbike at that. Sportbikes just arent ever gonna be as comfy to ride 2 up as a cruiser/standard. I think a CB750 four would be a good bike for what you want.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
C1 ZZR 1100. about 1990+
The boss says it was the best pillion she had been on, very comfy, loads of power, could cruise all day at 160+ if you wanted it to.
Good price now as well.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
bandit 1200 with stock seat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts