Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Superhawk in need of body work and paint. The body work and surface prep I can do to get it smooth. My last bike I used duplicolor basecoat with SprayMax 2K clear over that and I was very happy with the results. Turned out great I think. For this bike, I was thinking of doing a better job though. Below is a picture of the first bike. For the VTR, I want to do a Sunset Orange or something similar. Summit has a "Pearl Orange"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-swbc505q-12/overview/
I'm not sure if it will be too difficult to spray though, maybe I should stick with a solid color. Anyone have any recommendations on one that is similar to Sunset Orange or Burnt Orange?
And has anyone used Summit brand paint? With a quart of the pearl, quart of clear, quart of reducer, and clear hardener, I am looking at around $140, which isn't too bad (if that's enough, might want to get two quarts of clear). If I used spraymax 2k and duplicolor, I would save only like ~$40.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
that stuff is just metal flake dust, you have to shoot it with a semi-transparent color. That summit paint is basically a dark orange semi-transparent paint with, a lighter orange pearl, just like the stuff in that bag.
you cant just add pearl to clear, it will take a zillion coats to cover, and it will always have a dull finish, as bits of pearl with be poking out, you would then have to shoot another clear without pearl to make it glossy....

·
Registered
740 Posts
My Z was painted with Summit sour apple metallic. I had a buddy who owns a body shop shoot it for me, it's not the most dazzling metallic effect I've ever seen, as said it's more "dusty" than "flaky", but it's covered with summit clear and it's looked great for a couple years now. From me experience skill of the painter is about 90% of the finish quality, the actual paint is maybe 10%. I've seen really expensive paint that looks terrible and rattle cans that look amazing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Painter skill is a part of it for sure, but prep is the biggest part by far.

About how much paint should I plan on getting? I found www.coastairbrush.com sells House of Kolor in just about any size. Is half a quart of paint (a full sprayable quart) enough to paint a Superhawk? Since it's only a half faired bike I guess, I don't think it will need a ton of paint.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
That will probably be just enough, metallics and candy take more paint-2-3 extra coats...to get more pop out of metallics, the final layer of basecoat is reduced 25% more and air pressure is turned up. this makes the final layer mostly the pearl or metallic and the high pressure makes more of it lay down flat instead of landing at random angles. A lot of clearcoats end up shrinking in a few days time and shows the rough surface of metallics, I shoot an extra coat, or "buff-coat" and wont buff the paint for a week..The only way I know how to make a clearcoat flat and glossy without buffing, is to put a bit of slow reducer in it, but it ends up very thin and doesn't work well ond pearls and such..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.