Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  lynchingacers 
#1 ·
I'm planning a supercharged bike for the somewhat distant future...(after vstrom's upgrades). I really just want to build something with a s.charger to show all you turbo fools what really works on the street. Linear power thru the twisties will pwn your turbo lagging asses.

When I think about twins and 4's and turbos vs s.chargers I have this disposition for a twin with a supercharger vs a 4 with the charger. I think the down-low torque will lend itself nicely to the linear power upgrade of a s.charger.

a turbo takes time to spool which reminds me of how an inline4 works so it seems thats the way most people go, as these methods of induction mirror the characteristics of the motors initial power output.

am i thinking backwards, and should actually think about s.charging an inline and turbo'ing a twin to make up for their shortcomings?

I dont think the turbo twin is the best idea because the motors are built to be run down low instead of up top, so if your chasing that peak boost, you may end up POPPing the motor.

Findings? Previous experience? Examples? Help a brother out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just my $.02 with my limited experience with one turbo bike.............

the whole turbo lag thing is talked about allot but in my experience lasts literally seconds if designed correctly.....and if it was a issue a quick flick of the clutch and throttle and you are spooled up to do whatever you want!!!!

Again just my opinion but I think V-twins lend them selves to super chargers, 1 most (and I said most) twins dont rev very high so they can capitalize on the instant boost of a super charger....also if you are building on a harley format.....well hell I think they just sound cool as fuck and you can maintain the exhaust note with the super charger.

vs. the inline-4 which loves to be revved to the moon can capitalize on the AWESOME top end power potential of the turbo.....and the exhaust sounds some what similar to a stock application depending on if you run a muffler or not either way you have the turbo acting as a muffler........my old GS1100 is rather quit with no muffler and just a few feet of 2" pipe out past the turbo

You can literally go on all day with pros and cons to one or the other, I personally built what I thought was cool and didnt see any others around.

#3 ·
i am NOT building with a hd motor. my god man. give me some credit! :wtf:

#4 ·
In nowdays you can forget lag with turbos.. Rightly done turbo setup has virtually no lag at all. And what there is works on twisties as traction control. Those make smooth transition as you turn throttle.

S.charger instead is "instant" throttle response. That depending again what kind setup you have. S.charger types varies alot on how they make there boost. And to what levels you can get boost. Like my Rotrex makes high Psi boost, but it needs lot engine rpm on that. Screw types give more on low rpm, but don't have top end fun...

On what I have been dealing twins with superchargers are only top fuels. And on those there are lot trouble to get belts last. As firing on them is 2 in row and then long pause...I'd tends to make belt ether snap or slip. As 4s have steady pull So its lot easier for belts.

#5 ·
what are the screw types that you speak of?

With the twins, I really wouldn't be using the top end of the motor to make the power so the screw type sounds more beneficial.

#7 ·
Like eaton, opton, autoroton, lystrand, roots......

I say sizing rightly what you make there is more important then type of charger you want to use..
Turbos are million different size and design, s.chargers on other about 20....
And supercharger physical size makes them hard to fit.

But with ether there can be made awesome bike... It just takes lot of hard work and experience..

#6 ·
Very cheap investment if you want to get into boosting anything
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Turbocharging-Supercharging-Nitrous-Oxide/dp/1884313078
It is a bit outdated but allot of the same principles / theory apply.

I did a ton of reading online asking questions.....bought the book and read it cover to cover it will not make you expert by any means but allot of shit will make sense after reading it.

that price seems expensive to me I think i found mine on ebay for around $20 or so

#9 ·
well in drag racing V twin is the order of the day for the fastest bikes in the world, but they drink nitro.....yet here in europe the fastest bike is an inline 4....

top fuel is mostly V twins
super twins is Vtwins
yet in superstreetbike we have a huge field of 4 cylinder machines running mid 7s....

it all depends how you put your bike together and how you set it up....either format is preferable and i suppose choosing would come down to finance and uniqueness....supercharged busas are fairly common

,,,,and yes i would love to have a 600hp monster too...

#10 ·
What about a V4? Best of both worlds :D And there are good quality supercharger setups available for 5th and 6th gen Viffers . . . even if you end up building your own there's a good knowledge base in the VFR community.

#11 ·
I was looking at the IHI sc from the mazda mellenia as opposed to the eaton...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.