Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Chappy finished and done with, my dad's bike almost rebuilt, it's time to start on something I promised to do about 5 years ago. Cunningly enough it was my 5 year plan to supercharge the Triumph. I've bought an Aisin AMR500, a roots type blower that displaces 500cc/rev. I'll be running around a 1.7-2:1 ratio, giving me between 5 and 7 psi of boost. The stock fuel system and computer can handle this, according to guys with turbocharged 675s. I plan on making an aluminium plenum chamber, and keeping the stock throttle bodies in their stock position. At the same time I'll remove the head, give it a mild smoothing, and put in a thicker head gasket.

I'm currently thinking of using an electromagnetic clutch from an air conditioning pump to allow me to start the bike without having to turn the supercharger, and I'm actually thinking I could probably use the pulleys from an appropriate a/c unit rather than having custom ones made up. I'm currently on a LAV/Stryker course so I can't upload anything but I'll try and rectify that asap. Do any of the forced induction geniuses here have any pro tips for me? I'm used to FI, but mainly in diesels so I'm not sure on everything. The biggest fear I have for the moment is overboosting on throttle off at high RPM, I'm picking I'll just get a blow off valve to dump excess pressure.

Ps: remind me to show you guys some pictures of the Thunderbird Sport me and dad put together. It's something special.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
With the Chappy finished and done with, my dad's bike almost rebuilt, it's time to start on something I promised to do about 5 years ago. Cunningly enough it was my 5 year plan to supercharge the Triumph. I've bought an Aisin AMR500, a roots type blower that displaces 500cc/rev. I'll be running around a 1.7-2:1 ratio, giving me between 5 and 7 psi of boost. The stock fuel system and computer can handle this, according to guys with turbocharged 675s. I plan on making an aluminium plenum chamber, and keeping the stock throttle bodies in their stock position. At the same time I'll remove the head, give it a mild smoothing, and put in a thicker head gasket.

I'm currently thinking of using an electromagnetic clutch from an air conditioning pump to allow me to start the bike without having to turn the supercharger, and I'm actually thinking I could probably use the pulleys from an appropriate a/c unit rather than having custom ones made up. I'm currently on a LAV/Stryker course so I can't upload anything but I'll try and rectify that asap. Do any of the forced induction geniuses here have any pro tips for me? I'm used to FI, but mainly in diesels so I'm not sure on everything. The biggest fear I have for the moment is overboosting on throttle off at high RPM, I'm picking I'll just get a blow off valve to dump excess pressure.

Ps: remind me to show you guys some pictures of the Thunderbird Sport me and dad put together. It's something special.
Sounds like you're on your way. BOV would certainly prevent overboosting, and it was the first thing to pop into my head too. The only thing I would be careful of is making sure the design of the A/C clutch can handle what you're planning on throwing at it.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Street Triple. It's an 09, I bought it brand new. The build thread is in my signature. Looking at intercoolers, I think a Toyota MR2 is my best bet. I can get a 395x200x100 intercooler for not very much at all. I'll be re doing my coolant pipes at the same time, using carbon fibre tubes mated to silicone join pipes. I'll do the same with my intercooler pipes.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking of changing my compression ratio by installing a thicker base gasket. Could I get away with using gasket paper? I have access to a large amount in many different thicknesses so that's why I'm asking.

·
addict
370 Posts
i could see a few issues with doing it that way, one of them being gasket squish

to make a paper gasket that thick would mean you have a lot squish so it will be hard to get accurate measurements inside the combustion chamber plus im sure you would have issues with leakage

im sure there is more but someone with more experience than me will have to elaborate

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I'm thinking of changing my compression ratio by installing a thicker base gasket. Could I get away with using gasket paper? I have access to a large amount in many different thicknesses so that's why I'm asking.

Cometic will make you a metal core gasket in whatever thickness you want. I would go with that once you figure out the thickness you need.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the supercharger in today. It's freaking tiny. I can comfortably fit it under the tank, all I really need is a solid mount that includes am outrigger shaft and bearing to get my belt run correct.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Hey buddy,

The only post I found on lowering the compression was this

I finally have the BEAST back together!
The custom JE pistons cost about $840(U.S.D) shipped. They are 10.5:1 compression and have a Hi-temp coating on the face. If any one wants a set, contact TJ Harris @ JE Pistons (714) 898-9763 ext. 4234 (Direct) or [email protected]. He can hook you up.
I also installed racing valve springs, and switched the Intake and Exhaust cams ( Timing: 107 IN, 110 EX). I'm still running 7psi boost until the motor is broke in.

I put about 170miles on the bike this weekend. Power seems to be instant with the new cam and piston set up! I haven't been able to go past 1/2 throttle but still pulls harder than the stock motor at full throttle

Here's the build thread.
www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53127

And some of his vids

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw those too, very sexy. I'm almost considering getting a waterjet cut aluminium spacer on the base gasket to try and lower my compression ratio. Once I get back down home I'll start doing some calculations. Fuck tanks, I just wanna work on bikes!

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I've been a busy boy. Tore the bike down to its constituent parts, the frame has to have a couple big alloy slugs welded in it for the supercharger support, and I'm going to clean up a few bits and pieces while I'm at it. The chain was ground off, it's done 40 000km with not a particularly large amount of care so I'm pretty happy to replace it now. The supercharger WILL fit underneath the tank, as per my original plan, so I'm stoked. I'll need to cut a channel in the side for the jackshaft, but that's not a biggie. I'll buy a new tank in order to do that because, believe it or not, this entire bike can be put back to stock standard from here. Yeah, I know, why would I bother?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, that's the inlet. The outlet faces towards the front. I can't make it work any other way without adding in an awkward second shaft and belt, so I'm gonna rock with what I've got. Have the outlet pipe curve to the front left, to go into the intercooler, and then have it come up under the left frame rail next to the coolant pipe to the plenum. The intake will be a super cool set of intake scoops a la Aprilia Tuono poking out either side of the headstock. Dunno yet how I'm going to handle a filter, but I'll figure it out eventually. Right?

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Reactions: MikeGyver
1 - 20 of 302 Posts