Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up today! 10 years since I last saw it, but it's been in the area all of its 34 years!

Did run well but needs a coil to run. Had a brand new tank and panel, re-covered seat although I will prob be ditching these or selling on. I'll get a manual first ;) Get it going then strip it down cos iirc one inlet port was flowed (web removed) so I want to even it up.

Ideas I have are............
:) strengthen frame
:) change triple clamp/forks for something bit more up to it!
:) better swing arm modern twin shock
:) Titan expansions
:) alloy tank or longer one anyway not sure what yet
:) cafe racer seat unit, that I'll prob make
:) clip ons not like the original top yoke bar mount type.
:) rearsets off my gixer
:) wheels?

Any thoughts, suggestions, threats, praise, abuse or anything else mostly welcome:D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
Cafe Dick! YOure excited arent ya chap?!

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little excited Adam! Been thinking about this bike for a year or so! Might be a long build this tho.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK ..........Managed to spend a bit of time on myself!
What I like about the old bikes.....easy to remove stuff. 10 minutes work bitches!
Tank off seat off and coil off ready for me to get the multimeter on. Did actually spark but very weak.

This shows the state of the bike. Solid but coat after coat of black paint to cover the shit. The frame is solid tho. Wiring might as well rip out and start again!

Make shift kill switch I think! Tywrap holding it to the bent and rusty bars.

First off cut the HT leads down to show wires and now test the resistances. Check wires from the geny have clean contacts and try again.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the coil checked out ok. 1 Ohm between the + & - primary. 10 K Ohm between each HT lead for the secondary windings. Whilst twisting and bending wires.

A good spark should jump across a bent plug!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Wow, that electrode is fucked haha

·
199 Posts
Never seen a plug w/a gap like that. Need an MSD box to fire across that...........

Cool bike.
I know where you're coming from.
The closer it gets to a bare frame, the better the poor bastard looks. Yours doesn't look bad. Mine was really ugly.

My Titan had blown/bad condensors. Replaced 'em both and it fired right off................ seems to be a weak link.
I went to the local parts store and started digging through Standard boxes and came up w/2 new parts that would work.
Briggs&Stratton/Techumseh cond's might be compatable also.

I robbed parts from another project to push my build along............. then I made some pipes.............. swapped in an old Ducati tank. Have it stripped and trying to get time to paint the frame.
Yep............ these frames left a lot to be desired.

Sweet project.
Here's mine..................
Have a thread on it here somewhere.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never seen a plug w/a gap like that. Need an MSD box to fire across that...........

Cool bike.
I know where you're coming from.
The closer it gets to a bare frame, the better the poor bastard looks. Yours doesn't look bad. Mine was really ugly.

My Titan had blown/bad condensors. Replaced 'em both and it fired right off................ seems to be a weak link.
I went to the local parts store and started digging through Standard boxes and came up w/2 new parts that would work.
Briggs&Stratton/Techumseh cond's might be compatable also.

I robbed parts from another project to push my build along............. then I made some pipes.............. swapped in an old Ducati tank. Have it stripped and trying to get time to paint the frame.
Yep............ these frames left a lot to be desired.

Sweet project.
Here's mine..................
Have a thread on it here somewhere.

That is fuckin sweet! what's the front end and wheels? Much work to convert? I'll have to check your build thread.

·
Verraten und Verkauft
289 Posts
@Cranium: Nice Ride.
I've never seen one of these before ... and i'm gettin jelous :D
Is it a 2-Stroke ?

That is fuckin sweet! what's the front end and wheels? Much work to convert? I'll have to check your build thread.
Looks like the front from a dirtbike, maybe KTM LC4 .. with akront (or similar) 17" spokewheels, am i right ? :D

·
199 Posts
Pretty close man.

CR250 forks...............
Can pick 'em up cheap on ebay, but the more expensive auctions are usually cleaner/better pieces. Other than leaking seals, these were really choice.

I cut the springs 6" and spaced the top-out cushion 6".
Forks and trees were something like $80, CR250 handlebars were another $20 and the throttle and complete brake set-up was another $30.
Machined the CR250 head bearings to slip into the Suzook's tube.............. worked out really well.

Rims are Suns and the hubs are 2001 CR125, and I think the rear caliper is Suzuki DR650 (maybe it was a Kawa KLR650). Rear tire is a 150mm, anything wider would have rubbed on the chain.
Sad part is that I paid out the ass for the new parts........... the "supermoto spec" caliper bracket and 320mm brake disc was an additional $200.

Build pic albums:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mosmeyerperformance

Swapped parts around, using the same thing on a Harley project also, except it'll have 19" rims and flat-track tires instead.

Hell yeah............. I love pingers. These old ones are rare and catch attention................ and run pretty good for what they are.
Good luck on yours and let me know if I can help,
Gene.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got an '05 SV650 as a donor! So I'm gonna use all SV running gear brakes wheels forks swinger etc.
Anyone know if the '05 steering stem sizes differ from the '99-'00 as they are smaller than the GT?

·
Swankster
66 Posts
Holy crap! that top 90 degree bend under the seat looks really tight on those chambers.
Cool nonetheless!
Swankster

·
I'll do it........soon...
502 Posts

omgwtf!!!!! MOAR!!
:rock::rock:

·
199 Posts
Got an '05 SV650 as a donor! So I'm gonna use all SV running gear brakes wheels forks swinger etc.
Anyone know if the '05 steering stem sizes differ from the '99-'00 as they are smaller than the GT?
Sounds like a cool plan.
My neighbor had an SV for a while, seemed like a cool bike.

Stupid question..............Instead of modding the old frame w/all modern pieces (been there/doing that). Is there any way to transplant the GT5 engine into the SV frame?
Just a thought.

As for the fitment of the stem?
Have to strip the 2 front ends, knock the races out of the head tubes and compare diameters.
I machined the CR races to fit the T's frame, and I'm guessing you'll need to do the same.

It's cool that you're using modern Suzuki parts to mod an old Suzook.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts