Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I found some stuff at TLplanet and someone tried it with their S and saud tge clearance on both heads would cause problems. But they upgraded to the sv1k coils but I'm still gonna try. Maybe I'll find some low profile coils (r1/r6) and the wiring is easy as there is 2 cables for both. Just need to find ones with the right impedance and resistance and stuff. But I am not sure how to measure impedance but I'll just Google it

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I found some stuff at TLplanet and someone tried it with their S and saud tge clearance on both heads would cause problems. But they upgraded to the sv1k coils but I'm still gonna try. Maybe I'll find some low profile coils (r1/r6) and the wiring is easy as there is 2 cables for both. Just need to find ones with the right impedance and resistance and stuff. But I am not sure how to measure impedance but I'll just Google it
Ok impedance for ignition coils is the resistance. And higher resistance means higher spark voltage. Which means hotter plug and better burn. But not too high. I think today I'll measure mine then measure one from an r6 and an r1 have in the shop. They're really low profile so maybe it'll work

·
Registered
740 Posts
Generally speaking it's pretty easy for newer bikes. A lot of the time you can literally just take the wires from the stock coil pack and stick them on the pencil coil and be done.

Sometimes, usually on older (say pre-'90) bikes, you need to add 3k ohm resistors in the line so the ignition "sees" the same load as before. Most stick coils have a lot less resistance than coil packs, and old analog ignitions will overheat and fail quickly if the resistors are not used. I doubt this is the case for your TL though.

I got a set of 4 coils, and the sub-harness (to cut the connectors off of) from a R6 on ebay for like $25 and did the swap on my vmax, which is half of what a new set of wires cost. It fired up noticeably quicker than before and had a crisper throttle response as well. I didn't use any resistors and had well over 10k miles with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts