Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a cheap bike while looking for a motor donor. Listing states "bike needs 2nd gear"...

Should I run away?

These motors are supposed to be bulletproof, so someone must have beat the snot out of it to bend the shift fork?

Anyway, are these any harder or easier to fix than any other motor? Can I flip the block on a bench and get it the fork and gears from the bottom?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
shift fork. I'd almost put money on it. Squids always miss 2nd or don't clutch. They are pretty much the same across the board when it comes to I4's (in my opinion) The 1127 requires the same "special tools" as others do. After market support and reliable mods are pretty much everywhere.

The fork column and dogs are attatched to the lower case. Best to just split it like normal. Top off

Pull the trigger, you won't regret it

G

·
If you are really lucky it could be a dodgy selector pawl but in all honesty its probably a worn or bent selector fork, so rip it down split the cases & check the lot out, its only a days work after all

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
If you are really lucky it could be a dodgy selector pawl but in all honecty its probably a worn or bent selector fork, so rip it down split the cases & check the lot out, its only a days work after all

Uhhhh....I dunno man how cheap can you get it for? Cause if youre already looking at splitting the case open then youre almost beter off finding an 1127 that needs more of a rebuild or something like that, that you can get for the cost of scrap metal. Tearing into an engine like that, like tearing all the way down into an engine isnt just a walk in the park for most people. I've found running 1127's with zero issues near me for as cheap as $600. It really boils down to how cheap can you get the bike for?

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for an 1127 GSXR(89-92) or Bandit(96-06)... wrecked or not, title or not, for as cheap as possible.

I need the motor/carbs/harness/etc. Running gear to donate to a rolling chassis, essentially.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Could be a bent shift fork, though it wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd gear dogs are all rounded off as well. Sometimes latter can cause the former from the gear getting forced over by the dogs torquing out, bending the fork.

Usually from people banging hard 1-2 shifts without using the clutch.

For something that old unless you get it for very cheap I wouldn't bother. As said you can get no issues bikes for less than a grand...really worth the parts and time to fix?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Uhhhh....I dunno man how cheap can you get it for? Cause if youre already looking at splitting the case open then youre almost beter off finding an 1127 that needs more of a rebuild or something like that, that you can get for the cost of scrap metal. Tearing into an engine like that, like tearing all the way down into an engine isnt just a walk in the park for most people. I've found running 1127's with zero issues near me for as cheap as $600. It really boils down to how cheap can you get the bike for?
yeah but this is seb we are talking about. There are flaw and service headaches that can be addressed while the engine is out and apart.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I came across a cheap bike while looking for a motor donor. Listing states "bike needs 2nd gear"...

Should I run away?

These motors are supposed to be bulletproof,
except for the 2nd gear thing. Thats a somewhat recurring thing on old gsxrs in particular that ive seen a lot on ones for sale "runs great except for the 2nd gear issue"

Of course as stated above somewhere I dont doubt that this has a lot to do with squids not using the clutch through neutral or at all for that matter.

G

·
1127 engines here are £400 to £600 here with no guarentees other than "it runs" or "the last owner says it ran ok" That probably means 10 years ago ;) A full gasket set is £120 at worst so any bike with a good running engine but a gearbox problem has to be worth a look at, this is what i based my opinion on :) although i agree if you dont feel confident with your engine building skills & theres cheap bikes about it may be worth spending a little more to buy something that does not need work ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at the moment :)

·
FNG
68 Posts
GSXR1127 second gear no problem, top end doesn't have to come apart. figure on about 4 gears(replace in pairs), a shift fork(if bent or burnt), and a gasket set, oil, filter, etc. FYI clutch hub nut is 50mm.
bb7

1 - 10 of 10 Posts