Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 601 Posts

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suzuki blade 900rr trike thats a motorbike ;) (no longer a TRIKE :D)

some you guys may already know what the title is about :D
if not i'll get you up to scratch!​
my mind has been going crazy lately with my blade project as it was wasnt different / radical enough for what i want to build! (sorry to anyone who was following with anticipation as it neared completion ;) )

so after doing some net searching, i had the idea to built a go kart type thing with 1 rear wheel and 2 fronts that lean.................. think aprillia magnet type thing!
but after alot of thought that was not gonna happen! would need reverse, couldnt put ya feet down, the front end would be too high for the look i wanted etc etc :(
so more drawing photoshopping and nights spent on the internet, much to my partners disguist :LolLolLolLol:
and finally started to throw around some ideas that actually looked promising............. (alot of thanks goes out to exmoor customs rob for the help and advise he's given soo far! GREAT GUY!)

what i wanted to achieve with this: low centre of gravity, weight below / just behind the rider, stability of 3 wheels but crucially still being able to lean of course :D with the weight low but further back, sliding this thing in corners becomes all to possible but yet controllable!!!

what im using for this: 97 cbr900rr engine and full wiring loom (got) with pod filters, 1st gen bandit 1200 frame with possibly a 93 gsxr750 tank (got the tank), vfr800 swingarm (got), 7" wide 17" car rim lenso d1r (got a mockup momo wheel), 09 zx6r rear bodywork and seats (got) and finally a COMPLETE piaggio mp3 front end taken off with headstock (;) very soon!)
onto the important bit that most of you will probably skip to anyway ;) i know wat you fuckers are like!! :LolLolLolLol: :D

heres the plans and designs ive created on photoshop that i'll be following
the angle of the mp3 front end, will be close to this maybe 2 or 3 degrees more rake

here the engine cradle design that will be a bolt on bolt off design for removing the engine with ease-ISH

the bandit frame with heavy bracing (the bracing design might change but this is what i like the look of), engine cradle brackets attached and the mp3 front end (bandit frame welded to mp3 headstock in 2 places)

and finally the whole design but with a bandit tank

the mp3 front end uses 12" rims and a single pot caliper on each wheel but i have a thought of running 2 17" 5" vfr750 rear wheels with 170 tires on a modified hub / spline and swapping out the shock for a pair of bigger bike shocks ;) but need to take a look over the mp3 front end first!
the reason its still a motorbike as well is because the mp3 frotend is narrow enough to be classified legally as a motorbike!!!

got my first bits today, 3 2metre length of pvc tubing to mock up the engine cradle so i know angles etc..........

so there you have it guys! the reason im bailing out on the blade and using it as a organ donor........... hopefully you'll agree the design is a LIL bit more radical...............

as always fellow riders post up your opinions! good or bad i can take it!! :knucks: but im super excited to get started!

·
Santa Claus is a biker!!!
35 Posts
if you want some honest feedback i'm your man

it looks ridiculous imo

as long as you're happy thats all that matters but i've seen some nice trikes over the years but this wont be one of them going by the picture

tis only my opinion

good luck anyway

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks zzzeke your not the first person to say that lol

if you want some honest feedback i'm your man

it looks ridiculous imo

as long as you're happy thats all that matters but i've seen some nice trikes over the years but this wont be one of them going by the picture

tis only my opinion

good luck anyway
thats ok bud, i know it wont be to everyones likin by far! thats the point of streetfighters i reckon :) im not gonna get shitty with people just because they have an opinion :)
out of curiosity what would you change? keep in mind i dont want a normal or reverse trike, the main point is the leaning factor..........

·
Santa Claus is a biker!!!
35 Posts
....out of curiosity what would you change?..........
the whole front end looks odd

the tank should be over the engine otherwise it looks like the engine fell off!!! the whole poocati cross bracing looks like its missing something. looks like it'll bend in the middle.

did you see the footage of Obama in Ireland? The car geting stuck on the ramp. i can foresee similar adventures for this bike!

!!!THATS IT!!! i knew it reminded me of something - one of those foldable bicycles

i agree that the whole point of fighters are to be different but not mad for the sake of mad

dont mind me - just do you:rock:

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ medimicated, it took me a while to wrap my brain round it as well! lol its hard to explain, but each wheel has it own shock on the fork leg and then 2 yokes / fork leg clamps on a pivoting middle control the lean
heres a cad drawing i found on the net

this might help a bit lol :) its a very mechanical looking front end but i like that..........

·
206 Posts
keep an eye on the wheelbase.
standard bandit 12 is 56 1/2". if you start getting much over 64" you'll run into some 'interesting' handling.... (speaking from experience, LOL).

you might need to shuffle the motor forward a bit. if you were to go with a 'normal' swingarm and twin shocks you could bring the wheel a lot closer to the back of the engine....

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
You're nuts for sure! But in a good way. Subbing here as with your other builds. Sucks to see the 900 get binned but this makes up for it lol.

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the whole front end looks odd

the tank should be over the engine otherwise it looks like the engine fell off!!! the whole poocati cross bracing looks like its missing something. looks like it'll bend in the middle.

did you see the footage of Obama in Ireland? The car geting stuck on the ramp. i can foresee similar adventures for this bike!

!!!THATS IT!!! i knew it reminded me of something - one of those foldable bicycles

i agree that the whole point of fighters are to be different but not mad for the sake of mad

dont mind me - just do you:rock:
the photoshop isnt quite to scale, so the length in the pic is not right looks longer that it will be
ya i agree the front is odd but i like it as well lol IMO if it was a widely used front it wouldnt look so odd. the bracing isnt a finished design, just throwing round some ideas but cant get the tubing looking curved etc in the pics, gonna play around with the pvc to get the shape right. and there will be cross bracing linking the two sides.........
i must admit i like the "different part of it but the idea of more stability is a big factor in it for sure
it wouldnt be too hard to put the engine in the right place in the future if i wanted too either, just a case of changing the bracing to incorporate engine mounts. :)
keep the thoughts coming on the way through the build though, everything is appreciated!

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the tip rob! from rough measuring without a bandit frame to hand, it looks like its gonna be around the 64" mark :) but as you said i can always try and play around with engine placement, or i have a blade swingarm as well, but i really like the big back wheel idea, just have to see whats gonna work an wats not!

thanks zx6r! hopefully i'll do this blade justice and not of binned the blade build for nothing lol

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
very interesting, cant wait to see how this turns out!
and yeah, i can see why you said its hard to imagine...kinda what i figured but way different haha

are you going to homebre the front end?

Im imagining breaking traction and drifting around on it lol...

also may I ask why behind the rider as opposed to under?

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very interesting, cant wait to see how this turns out!
and yeah, i can see why you said its hard to imagine...kinda what i figured but way different haha

are you going to homebre the front end?

Im imagining breaking traction and drifting around on it lol...

also may I ask why behind the rider as opposed to under?
its confusing to look at but once figured out, suprisingly easy lol
nope going to get a whole piaggio mp3 front end, and strengthen or brace if needed, but an mp3 weighs the same as a sportbike (200kg's) and can go 90mph so the front is already pretty strong, but i have ideas of getting a hub made to take a cut down vfr750 5" wide rear wheel and have 2 of them on the front with beefier calipers and a pair of shocks :thumbsup:

having the engine further back should make oversteer easier to achieve but the 3 wheels means its alot easier to control and it keeps most of the weight off the front end, i could always put it back in the orignal place if i want to in future, but i like the idea of the weight low and back a bit :knucks: you got it spot on with the drifting!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
its confusing to look at but once figured out, suprisingly easy lol
nope going to get a whole piaggio mp3 front end, and strengthen or brace if needed, but an mp3 weighs the same as a sportbike (200kg's) and can go 90mph so the front is already pretty strong, but i have ideas of getting a hub made to take a cut down vfr750 5" wide rear wheel and have 2 of them on the front with beefier calipers and a pair of shocks :thumbsup:

having the engine further back should make oversteer easier to achieve but the 3 wheels means its alot easier to control and it keeps most of the weight off the front end, i could always put it back in the orignal place if i want to in future, but i like the idea of the weight low and back a bit :knucks: you got it spot on with the drifting!!

haha lurveee the drifting. if you need any advice on general suspension ive done drift and autox racing, minor fab and setup for years, and have accumulated a humble but not huge amount of knowledge...

anyhow all my knowledge is open to ya...although not sure how much carrys over...my cars didnt lean much so to speak lol

·
Huge Member
543 Posts
all I can say is....what the fuck????

other than that..

couple of questions. It looks in the picture like the engine frame will be bolted onto the front bandit frame. Is that gonna hold ok? wouldn't weld or a custom frame be better? having the potential hinge in the middle gives me the squits

and secondly...looks like your legs will be going either side of the barrels. thats wide for a comfortable position and the heat will be a bit of a ball boiler.

sure Rob will have considered these points...but just askin

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha lurveee the drifting. if you need any advice on general suspension ive done drift and autox racing, minor fab and setup for years, and have accumulated a humble but not huge amount of knowledge...
anyhow all my knowledge is open to ya...although not sure how much carrys over...my cars didnt lean much so to speak lol
thanks man will keep it in mind if i get stuck! i thought you'd like it once you heard drifting/oversteer/sliding ;)

Good idea mate....seems you might be spending.g a bit more tine on tribe forums in the future....will be watching with interest
thanks fu dont know about the trike forums tho lol this one is by far good enough for me :D

so this is like a MP3, with a sports bike engine and SSSA? holy crap :D
dont forget a 7" car wheel and MAYBE 2 x 5" vfr wheels for the front (only a maybe tho!) ;)
but yep you basically got it lol :rock::letsride:

all I can say is....what the fuck????

other than that..

couple of questions. It looks in the picture like the engine frame will be bolted onto the front bandit frame. Is that gonna hold ok? wouldn't weld or a custom frame be better? having the potential hinge in the middle gives me the squits

and secondly...looks like your legs will be going either side of the barrels. thats wide for a comfortable position and the heat will be a bit of a ball boiler.

sure Rob will have considered these points...but just askin
im toying with the design at the moment, if i run the bigger fronts and beef it up with a pair of shocks i might use the blade engine in the bandit 1200 frame in its normal position and brace it (spondon esque)
or i use it just under/behind me, then the engine cradle will be bolt on bolt off type so you can actually get the engine out, the bolt part is gonna be like whats on a bandit frame (where the engine rails bolt to the main frame) 3 cradle mount points with 2 bolts each and maybe another engine mount for the front thats attached to the main frame not the cradle. there will be cross members as well in 2 or 3 places to stop twisting
so there should be plenty of stress points to spread the load :) its real hard to explain tho without sounding like a load of shit lol

as for the heat, it might get warm at a standstill but wen moving, with the engine just below/behind the heat should blow backwards, its not to far from a v4 as you kinda have the rear cylinder head between ya legs

ask anything mate im know theres gonna be things ive not considered yet so i would rather people bring up any concerns as i go :D
hopefully you can make sense of all that!! :knucks:

1 - 20 of 601 Posts