Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I found this bike a couple of years ago. Didnt have the heart to leave that poor thing standing there all alone. Bike got kinda forgotten in between other bikes, cars and stuff. Dug it out here the other day and got started :party-smiley:

Frame was pretty beaten up and bent downtubes. Put the sledgehammer, chains, jacks, straps and what not to it and it messured out straight :rock: By the time the engine fitted in the hole again the downtubes where realy messed up so decided to change em out, and thats where am at now.

Put on straight forks and wheels so i could messure it:

First downtube cut out:

A little trick to smack the insert in the old frame tube:

Bottom end:

Ready to be tig'd up tomorrow :rock:

More to come :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
probably a bit boring stuff but i did work today and am pretty stoked, never done this before :rock:

Both downtubes welded in place.

Second one cut out:

Tube and inserts primed and ready to go:

Welded in place:

So after an houre filled with panic and fear it messured straight! :party-smiley:

Now i can actually start to build a bike :party:

·
Registered
323 Posts
First off how in the world did someone manage to bend the down tubes? Looks like you are doing a great jib repairing it. I cant wait to see how she progresses. What are your plans?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well i have no idea. forks where bent and since nothing else is crooked my guess is the forces/energy from an impact made its way to the downtubes, kinda like impact zones in a car.

as far as a plan goes...im more confused now then ever :D Stock wheels and fork are staying. A little on the budget on this one because i have another thats getting the new suspension and weels treatment (and that aint cheap). But that aint gonna be ready for the spring/summer. Probably ending up with a cafe style thingymojig :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are you sure the neck is true? If she bent the forks and the down tubes I would wonder if it was straight. Boy do I know about the suspension swap thong. I swapped a cbr900rr rim into my 82 Honda last winter and now I am swapping a gixxer 600 frontend onto her. It is getting costly for sure

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
everything messures fine. when rear wheel is vertical/level messured with string, level, lazer and what not, the front wheel is just the same. Ran to strings paralell with rear wheel and front wheel is dead on. so im pretty confident it will track straight.

Everything starts with a wheel :D Sounds like a nice bike.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
keep atit mate,never let an old skool bike die!

G

·
Hi thats good work there :) i have no reason to doubt you got the wheels in alignment but did you remember to measure the rake ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thats good work there :) i have no reason to doubt you got the wheels in alignment but did you remember to measure the rake ?
Well to be honest i didnt. I have no clue what the number for that would be. Since everything else checks out and no bends in any related tubes/structure i realy doubt its been pushed in that flawless. and if it did... well those bikes could need a little less rake :D

Just have to wait and see i guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice :)

But under what condition? Messured now, with no load on the suspension and with my crappy smartphone protractor app it was 27.8.

G

·
its usually measured with the whole weight of the bike sat on the wheels without rider & with the suspension on stock settings

You will be right once its together mate but it was worth checking :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some progress. Tank and shocks are just temporary fitted. clip-ons and rearsets are in the mail. Flames are NOT staying :rock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The GT380 tank looked better in my head, so dug out another one.

New shocks and mounts (seat just lays on top, not fitted)

Some bling to be added

Also fitted the right stem bearings. Almost there :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Confused as never before i decided the seat didnt look right. So made a new one. Now that turned out to be a mind bending experience :D

Drawed it up on cardboard and traced it over to sheetmetal

Cut out and bendt to shape

Then after some serious thinking and swearing i got this plate cut out

And after waay more thinking, swearing and brute force it was time to weld it up. had to make it a little longer too

The so far finished result. Still ned som grinding and finishing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After loads of: priming, body filler/bondo, high build primer, sanding, sanding, some more primer and then more sanding! the frame is painted :D

Seriously crappy picture though :wtf:

It turned out pretty good. even though i painted it outside :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts