Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my crash and my injuries I've been thinking heavily about building a reverse trike for added stability since I won't be able to quickly plant and lift both my feet on the ground at stops and if I tip my bike too far to the left I'm basically fucked. I was stubborn at first to this idea, but since I'm parting out or selling whole my 1992 GSXR 750 project I've embraced the idea of using a steel frame to graft an ATV front frame half to so I can utilize the steering and suspension. I want this thread to be for brainstorming and advice on the best ways to do this. What ATVs to consider, what frame to use, wheels etc.

As some of you know Randy's Bandit 1200 had a heart attack and He got Himself another B12 thanks to the kindness and generosity of His friend. I'm hoping Hell pay that forward as I've been begging and pestering Him for the past couple hours to sell me what's left of His old Bandito so that I can use it for this build. If that doesn't pan out, does anybody know where I can score a Suzuki steel rolling chassis that will work? I have my 92 slingshot 750 engine that I would like to use and the bike obviously doesn't even need to come with a front end as I will be making my own.

Some things I need to think about are making a jig so the grafting will be perfectly symmetrical and true, front wheel bolt pattern on the ATV so I can use car rims like a 4x100 Honda rim, and adjusting the rake angle of the bikes head tube so it follows the same angle of the ATVs steering stem. There's other things I've got floating around in my mind but I would love to hear from y'all about it. I know I have a tendancy to be stubborn and a bit of a douchebag at times when it comes to suggestions and what I already have my mind set on, but I promise to keep an open mind about this. The only thing I ask is that you don't tell me to buy a Can Am Spyder or go buy a standard trike. If I had the money I would have bought a zspyder a long time ago and I fucking hate trikes, so just please don't go there lol. I look forward to workingnwithbyall on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Consider a Katana (GSXF) frame, they're steel, they're cheap and plentiful, almost all oil cooled stuff drops in, they're made from box style steel rather than tubing so calculating angles/jigging/welding might be easier?
Also removable engine cradle out the bottom.
Reverse trikes are awesome, I'm not disabled and I still want one.
Are we talking layed out forward riding with feet behind?
Or sitting upright feet out front?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Seems like would be missing a lot of fun to not build it as a leaning trike, but I guess that would take extra time and money, and (depending on how it stays upright) maybe not be as easy to control (though afaik, most have a brake lever somewhere that can be used to lock it upright, or similar that kicks in below a some low speed).

I'd consider building the front end such that it runs on a sub-frame that bolts to the engine mounts (using longer bolts) and a 'stem' that runs through the headset. Feeds the stresses into the right places, and makes future upgrades (say if you DO want to go to a leaner) relatively easy and clean. If you do that, the frame / bike you start with really doesn't matter much, as long as it has some engine mount bolts down low (so probably mostly cradle frames). Also may save time by minimizing how much you have to strip the bike down, since there would be no welding on the original bike, just the new sub-frame. Lots of guys who build custom reverse trikes do this, seems to end up well.

Tell me you wouldn't want to build and run something like this?

Or buy one of these?

http://brudelitech.com/product_654.htm

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think we are missing the goal here . Getting Johnny back on th streets as soon as possible. Just a thought
Rw

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

G

·
I like the idea of a gix engined trike but am wondering if theres any particular reason for wanting to build a reverse (backwards) one ? to my mind if its your first go at something like this you are making things a lot harder

A 2 at the back 1 at the front conventional trike is much more simple & quick to make, also theres a few reverse trikes around this way & the only one that actually works does NOT use a quad front end but a fabricated one instead

Just my tuppence worth :D

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
I like the idea of a gix engined trike but am wondering if theres any particular reason for wanting to build a reverse (backwards) one ? to my mind if its your first go at something like this you are making things a lot harder

A 2 at the back 1 at the front conventional trike is much more simple & quick to make, also theres a few reverse trikes around this way & the only one that actually works does NOT use a quad front end but a fabricated one instead

Just my tuppence worth :D
reverse trike is more efficient on tires in the long run unless you're using a full differential in the back. plus it'll give jackstand the stability he needs without looking stupid.

I'm gonna put in a vote for a leaning trike here but I 100% understand the reasoning for going with a fixed wheel option instead.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Just came across this site today. Guy in my state (MN) sells (edit - looks like is planning to sell) bolt on reverse trike conversion kits. Probably more money than DIY, but might be worth a look.

http://ido-endeavor.com/

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Seems like would be missing a lot of fun to not build it as a leaning trike, but I guess that would take extra time and money, and (depending on how it stays upright) maybe not be as easy to control (though afaik, most have a brake lever somewhere that can be used to lock it upright, or similar that kicks in below a some low speed).

I'd consider building the front end such that it runs on a sub-frame that bolts to the engine mounts (using longer bolts) and a 'stem' that runs through the headset. Feeds the stresses into the right places, and makes future upgrades (say if you DO want to go to a leaner) relatively easy and clean. If you do that, the frame / bike you start with really doesn't matter much, as long as it has some engine mount bolts down low (so probably mostly cradle frames). Also may save time by minimizing how much you have to strip the bike down, since there would be no welding on the original bike, just the new sub-frame. Lots of guys who build custom reverse trikes do this, seems to end up well.

Tell me you wouldn't want to build and run something like this?

Or buy one of these?

http://brudelitech.com/product_654.htm
Actually after looking at this it doesn't appear too overly complicated. As far as locking it upright when parked, or even slowing the swing side to side while riding, I see no reason why a standard rear brake disc and caliper couldn't be used. It would allow you to tailor the quickness of the lean, or lack their of while Mark could get the hang of it all.

On a side note, years and years ago, Mother Earth News published a build plan for a 3 wheeled high mpg vehicle. Their design looked like a rocket ship, but had a reverse trike layout, as well as leaning capabilities, and was motorcycle powered as well.

Those plans are still available from them last I knew. Between the fab resources Mark has available, and the rest of us here, Im sure we could all kind of work together to get the leaning mechanism built.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually after looking at this it doesn't appear too overly complicated. As far as locking it upright when parked, or even slowing the swing side to side while riding, I see no reason why a standard rear brake disc and caliper couldn't be used. It would allow you to tailor the quickness of the lean, or lack their of while Mark could get the hang of it all.

On a side note, years and years ago, Mother Earth News published a build plan for a 3 wheeled high mpg vehicle. Their design looked like a rocket ship, but had a reverse trike layout, as well as leaning capabilities, and was motorcycle powered as well.

Those plans are still available from them last I knew. Between the fab resources Mark has available, and the rest of us here, Im sure we could all kind of work together to get the leaning mechanism built.
I remember seeing a link to that Mother Earth News trike article. I still very badly want and feel I need to make this happen. I'd love a leaning front end but from what I've read(a LOT) its not Tue design of a leaning reverse trike(LRT) front end that hard, its getting the dimensions and angles of everything that has to be perfect otherwise its a death trap.

If I can't find a cheap steel Zuk frame to shove this slingshot engine into so I can weld an ATV front half to, then I'll definitely need a TON of help making a LRT setup work safely. I would much rather be able to lean an ways. Everything's patented though. If it turns out that its gonna cost me more than $8000 to build, I'm just gonna buy a Can Am Spyder and call it a day.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, I've seen those too. You can basically count on the fact that if its a picture of a reverse trike online, I've seen it lol. Okay so here's exactly what I want. I dont have anywhere near the tools, resources and skills needed to do this right now but this is exactly what I want. Notice the shock up front mounted with tubular bracketry welded to the lower A arms. Also notice the A arm mount and how its able to steer the A arms left and right because of how far it sticks out from the steering stem.

Solo.....who here wants to help me make one of these? I figure the following parts can be sourced from the ATV and motorcycle aftermarket and modified to work for this application:

-A arms
-Motorcycle rear shock for lower A arms( gotta get the length right but the spring rate and rebound is crucial I'm sure
-Hubs with bolt pattern commonly found with car wheels
-Steering stem:now this is gonna be tricky. I'm thinking I might have to have something made in a lathe to match whatever stock stem belongs to whatever frame I use BUT I might be able to modify an ATV steering stem

The rest of the parts will have to be machined more than likely, and I'm gonna have a hard time finding such narrow wheels. Now that I'm thinking about it car rims probably won't work. I keep seeing all these leaning reverse trikes with the same width and style front wheels. Where then fuck did they come from? Thanks in advance and thank you for reading all of that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts