Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rfer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96' Rf900r I picked up recently for next to nothing. It had a bad second gear and worn forks that didn't shift well at all. The previous owner appears to have stunted, raced, and dropped the poor thing countless times. Every single safety mechanism on the bike was removed or disabled. Riding it home was a bit of a gamble to say the least.

So I found a guy with an Rf600r in pieces and a low mileage Rf900 engine set he never got around to swapping in.
I happily helped to clean his garage of the parts and proceeded to swap the 900 engine and the 600 tank and cowl.
Lost the dated fairings
Cleaned up and streamlined the frame by removing ugly mountings, and relocating/painting the rest.

Now she runs great. Always surprises me how fast this thing is when I get get on it a bit. Currently just working on cleaning her up, repainting old parts, and waiting for my new taillight to come in the mail.

Future plans:
-Streetfighter light/single lamp...haven't decided
-Chop the frame to remove the ugly mountings and plastic on the tail
-New seat
-Paneling on the rear of the tail and right beneath the tank.
-polish the can or get a new one

Abused

...rough

Debating on whether it is a good idea to perform an engine swap with no formal experience...

New engine, removed stuff, relocated things, and a good spit shine.

Waiting on parts and ideas

I'm working on a peanut size budget, but all suggestions, insights, or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit indecisive on where to go from here.

Thanks and its nice to see a good fighter community for a noob like myself,
MickeyValentino

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Welcome to CF.

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Welcome in and is the 900 a direct swap into the 600?

·
Rfer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
And yeah I believe 600 is the same frame with a different sub frame and smaller wheels and swing arm. I do know the 900 uses a hydraulic clutch whereas the 600 has a cable.

·
Renegade
26 Posts
Welcome!
Strip it down as much as possible.
Get that nasty plastic thing off the back of the tail.
Get that front fairing off.
Lift the rear a bit (an inch or a bit more).
Get that muffler off (replace it).
Paint everything black.
You've got a good base to get creative!
Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
looks good, dude
what part of texas are you from? i'm out in montgomery/conroe in the greater north houston area

nice sentra too. i had one just like it, but red. is that an se-r? i had a spec-v. crazy little cars!

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Welcome.

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Welcome mate. I like the RF's, even liked them with the fairings on.....

·
DON'T NEED CRACK - I'M A
1,011 Posts
looks good, dude
what part of texas are you from? i'm out in montgomery/conroe in the greater north houston area

nice sentra too. i had one just like it, but red. is that an se-r? i had a spec-v. crazy little cars!
Yeah...what part? I'm in North east TX.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome. This site has enormous amounts of info for you.

The guy I bought my RF900R from stunted it too, it had a 12 o’clock bar, no chain and the clutch was wasted, not to mention most of the plastics were ground, scraped or busted.

·
Rfer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes indeed. And I'm in north dallas Collin county area. Love the se-r but it sure feels a lot slower now XD

1 - 20 of 31 Posts