Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys... posting in this section as my questions might be... well... silly.
Please keep in mind I don't work with metal or fiberglass.

I have a 1998 Suzuki TL1000S, in good conditions. Already has adjustable bars, endcans, TRE, updated fuel pump, K&N filter. The bike is great, I love the engine BUT I also owned several supermotos (KTM 640) and I prefer their riding position. On them, I feel in total control and can have much more fun, even at low speed. But once the road "opens", they struggle.

I've seen a few SVs turned into supermotos. Also seen an Aprilia Tuono 1000 turned into some kind of SXV mongrel...

I was considering the idea of turning my TL into a supermoto by using Dorsoduro 750 parts (seat, subframe, tank). IN PURE THEORY I'd take the parts as they dictate the riding position, would put them together and then I'd lay them on the TL frame to see if/how they could fit.
The Dorsoduro is basically a Shiver with different riding position, so the tank also has room for the airbox underneath and the fuel pump recess even looks similar to the TL's!
Of course the subframe won't fit without adaptors or surgery.

I can obviously post pictures of the bikes and the parts I'd like to fit, I'm just trying to understand if it's doable and how hard it would be. I'm talking about €300 in parts, give or take. If things work, I'd obviously put a headlight mask with mudguard on the front.

Any idea/advice? TIA!

·
V four honda whore
12,335 Posts
first time i hear dorsoduro as a name. so we will ask for pictures.

but everything fits if you want to

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Have a Dorso front fender on my Busa. Neat bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
an engine nototious for blowing up from doing wheelies is not one I would choose to make into a sumo.

also im sure its possible.. you'd have to really put the parts on and look.. as tl's are still kinda fat even for twins. it'll be neat for sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
suzuki-tl-1000-s-1998-7.jpg

Dorsoduro_900_main17_logo.jpg

These are the two bikes. The Dorsoduro's frame shouldn't be too different as it's really a naked bike modified to be ridden like a big supermoto.
The tank is held in position on both bikes in the same way (2 bolts on front, 1 on the back that allows tilting). Both have airbox recess under the tank...

·
V four honda whore
12,335 Posts
Angle of frame is different. Wont work with stick tanks

Sent from Erics moms house

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So still don't know if I should spend my hard earned money on those 3 pieces or not LOL.
If I don't ruin them and can't fit them, could always HOPE to resell them... but it's not the right state of mind to start a project like this.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
So still don't know if I should spend my hard earned money on those 3 pieces or not LOL.
If I don't ruin them and can't fit them, could always HOPE to resell them... but it's not the right state of mind to start a project like this.

Its hard to take the big steps ,that's for sure mate.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, got the parts, spent the afternoon dismounting fairings, tail, subframe etc.

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Prometeus666/slideshow/Dorsomulo

As you can see, the holes obviously don't match but the whole thing kinda makes sense visually.

Now I have to find a way to secure the subframe to the frame... what would you recommend?
I was thinking: I might bring the subframe to a guy who has a TIG, have the triangular parts filled with a 8-10mm thick aluminum, make holes, use some aluminum washers and the low part of the subframe could be on.
For the high part, I think the best bolt-on way to do it would be to create "clamps" (like the ones used to grab handlebars on top of yokes) that surround the frame bars and keep the subframe in position.
I'd prefer to make everything reversible in case of problems. What do you think?

Troubles:

1) The tank is too tight under, so I had to remove the airbox.
2) The tank screw holes obviously don't match and their "brackets" get in the way when steering. I'll have to cut them and find another way to attach the tank to the frame on the upper side.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Jeez them parts came fast. Looks like a doable project,bit of wangeling here and there and your onto something pretty decent . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was surprised too! €270 or so, got a discount. They're Dorsoduro 750 parts.
As you can see in the pictures, I'll have to modify the subframe to fit... the subframe lower part is going to attach to frame upper "hook", and I'll have to find a way to connect the subframe high part to the frame.
Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not into metal working so I have to outsource all the TIG welding.
Also, the TL pump is huge and won't fit the Dorsoduro tank, so it looks like I'll have to spend €95 more to get the pump and save hassle. I honestly like a lot the new riding position! It's almost like my KTM 640, a bit higher maybe?
Do you think I should have the thread moved into the "main" section, somehow?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uhm... definitely a longer job... and I already have the subframe to mod, so don't know if it would be the best choice at this point. I can always have one made, though, but I think that modding this would be the best solution for now.
I fitted high bars (very high... but the only ones I had around) and removed most of the wires from the front. Now it's a rolling chassis that can be easily moved around and has working brakes.
How do you think I should solve the fuel pump issue? Should I buy a Dorsoduro pump and adapt it (easier but more expensive) or I should look for a different solution?

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised too! €270 or so, got a discount. They're Dorsoduro 750 parts.
As you can see in the pictures, I'll have to modify the subframe to fit... the subframe lower part is going to attach to frame upper "hook", and I'll have to find a way to connect the subframe high part to the frame.
Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not into metal working so I have to outsource all the TIG welding.
Also, the TL pump is huge and won't fit the Dorsoduro tank, so it looks like I'll have to spend €95 more to get the pump and save hassle. I honestly like a lot the new riding position! It's almost like my KTM 640, a bit higher maybe?
Do you think I should have the thread moved into the "main" section, somehow?

I can move the whole thred to the members roject bikes section if you want . Also retitle it if you want that as well .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can move it as is, I guess... thank you!

This is the actual state of things: fixed the top yoke the former owner modified (with misplaced holes for risers), fitted the only bars I had lying around (too high).
Have to order decent black bars with low rise, shim the risers a bit as they a bit too low, put a filter on the front throttle body (already had one filter). Not sure the bike will work at 100% without the airbox, we'll see. I removed the temperature sensor from the airbox, it now lies into the frame.

https://www.customfighters.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102298&stc=1&d=1536336515

The TIG guy has let me down, he said he didn't know if had the saturday shift or not... he was supposed to let me know today but he didn't. :shootme:

Have to find a decent front mudguard as the stock one is too big and a real supermoto one would look weird on such a short fork LOL.

I guess there aren't other options apart from TIG welding for the subframe, so if the guy doesnt' let me know, I'm screwed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but in my conditions you're forced to rely on others, stay at their schedule... it's a pain.

Any advice about how the subframe mod should be performed?
The "easy" way: add two thick supports for screws inside the triangular zone and bolt it in place.
The "hard" way: cut, widen and make fit the frame. For this, I should bring the whole bike there, so I should rent a van... probably not doable tomorrow... and the guy is only free on sunday and saturdays (at times).

1 - 20 of 239 Posts