Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey CF,

I posted a couple days ago up in the NOOBS thread, introducing myself and whatnot. I am basically getting going on what I hope to be an fun build of an 05 SV650.

I have questions for whoever feels inclined. I am not really an experienced wrencher, but am excited to learn some shit, and do believe I will end up with a bike I'm proud of.

First question(s): I just received the CBR1000rr headlight (with HID's) that I ordered of eBay. It is a bit bulkier than I thought it was going to be, which I was pretty pissed about at first, but after mocking it up on the bike (with twine...) I am feeling a bit better bout it. Plan calls for mounting it to the forks, and bending up some sheet metal, or cutting up a CBR fairing, to cover the plastic shit. Also thinking of cutting my old SV windscreen and mounting that thing up top.

Check out the attachments.

So, the questions are:

1) aesthetic? I really usually dig the more industrial, blacked out sort of bikes. I don't like too much mass hanging out front. Anybody have input. Part of me wonders if I am convincing myself it is gonna be cool cause I have it here and don't want to deal with sending it back... I think it could be sweet though. Think black, metal, maybe some fucking spikes or rivets or something...

2) it weighs a few pounds. Five? Don't really know. Anybody think it's a problem to hang that kind of weight from the forks?

3) I ride at night a fair bit, so the HID's were a big part of the purchase here. Anybody install HID's on a 03+ SV? especially if this has caused you any troubles I would love to hear about it. Also, some tips on where people have hidden their ballasts and other bits would be great. I'm thinking I ultimately might be trying to build a custom subframe/tail section, that would probably be pretty minimalist/short/verging on sort of a bobber style, so maybe getting that shit under the tank would be my best bet? Again, not super experienced here. That fucking air filter box is taking up most of the room down there...

Thanks everybody. I got some more questions on tap here about other things. if I get anybody paying attention I'll probably spew forth.

-Patrick

:suzuki::suzuki::suzuki::suzuki::yoda:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking of cut the plastic out of the middle so I could mount the sides a bit closer together...

I'm hoping to get some feedback on how SVs have handled HIDs for people before cutting the thing up though.

Here's a closeup from brake side.

There's a side shot attached too. Just get a real tiny bit of metal around it to smooth it into the lines a bit, and it just might work

-P

Attachments

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,646 Posts
Hey CF,

1) aesthetic? I really usually dig the more industrial, blacked out sort of bikes. I don't like too much mass hanging out front. Anybody have input. Part of me wonders if I am convincing myself it is gonna be cool cause I have it here and don't want to deal with sending it back... I think it could be sweet though. Think black, metal, maybe some fucking spikes or rivets or something... I'm not a fan of that headlight. Be sure you really like it before cutting or modifying it.

2) it weighs a few pounds. Five? Don't really know. Anybody think it's a problem to hang that kind of weight from the forks? No problem here

3) I ride at night a fair bit, so the HID's were a big part of the purchase here. Anybody install HID's on a 03+ SV? especially if this has caused you any troubles I would love to hear about it. Also, some tips on where people have hidden their ballasts and other bits would be great. I'm thinking I ultimately might be trying to build a custom subframe/tail section, that would probably be pretty minimalist/short/verging on sort of a bobber style, so maybe getting that shit under the tank would be my best bet? Again, not super experienced here. That fucking air filter box is taking up most of the room down there...No issue with hooking up HID to this bike. Depending on the ballast size you may be able to put it in front of the airbox behind the neck frame casting. You will have to remove the rubber airbox snorkel which may be a problem if you ride in the rain. Looks like there might be room behind or under the CBR headlight to put the ballasts. Not sure putting all the stuff in the subframe is a good idea since you would have extend the wires from the ballast to the lamp which may screw with the power to the lamp. Another option could be going with a smaller 8 cell LiFePo4 battery and using the extra space in the battery compartment for the ballasts. Still kinda far from the lamps though.

Thanks everybody. I got some more questions on tap here about other things. if I get anybody paying attention I'll probably spew forth. Spew away
Get to modding!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was still having mixed feelings about the light and decided to hook it up before trying to mount it to check the output. I'm glad I did.

My old light from when I had the fairings on was significantly brighter...

also, whoever installed the projectors did a shit job of it. The right side was rotated about 30 degrees so the pattern was not flat.

back to the drawing board I guess. I just hope I can get them to pay for the shipping charges.

I definitely wasn't expecting that.

I really like that gsxr light on the motorho bike. I could probably get one of those pretty quick off craigslist too...

Not being able to ride is definitely starting to piss me off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those lights are awesome. Just grab your nearest piece of plastic and start cutting, just something small to kind of frame the lights and cover up the inside plastics and wiring. Shouldn't take you more than a day. Those lights have serious potential. You can put the SV windscreen on top of whatever you make.

Then just paint it black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.