Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Looking for some guidance, and to share the process. I have recently acquired a 2000 sv650 with quite a few modifications started, finished, in the middle of a process..... I haven't a clue at what state the bike is in. Bought the bike on a whim, hopefully won't be kicking myself later. I'm sure I'm in for quite the process. I'm the 3rd owner of this bike in its "project" form. It seems to have a few choice parts. From what I can tell the swing arm conversion, and front end swap seems to have been done pretty well.

Things on the short List. I need to find out if everything was done well... haha. Also, have to find out what year VFR swing arm this is. I think its from a 94-97. The Gsxr forks I think are early 2000's. Not sure. The cut subframe I'm not a fan of. Sorry, for all of those that are fans of the short look. I'd like to put a race tail on it. Does anyone know what tail this is in the picture below? This is a 1st Gen sv too and I really like the look of this one.

Also, I was thinking of doing something with the rear end similar to this. Does anyone know what the deal is with the end of these tubes that make up is subframe? It almost looks like they have a threaded end?

·
Super Moderator
5,650 Posts
Yikes, picking up on not only an unfinished project but one that`s done the rounds too, you`ll be in for a treat!

Stubby tails are cool... that being said, one that`s been hacksawed in two and had a few rounds of painters tape over the ends doesn`t quite qualify as one LOL.

I`m sure @rex_saugerty will be able to identify any VFR parts for you at a glance.

Those subbie tube ends could in theory be spherical bearing rod ends, they come with both male and female threads

Reactions: 929_adam and CK 187

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes, picking up on not only an unfinished project but one that`s done the rounds too, you`ll be in for a treat!

Stubby tails are cool... that being said, one that`s been hacksawed in two and had a few rounds of painters tape over the ends doesn`t quite qualify as one LOL.

I`m sure @rex_saugerty will be able to identify any VFR parts for you at a glance.

View attachment 149820

Those subbie tube ends could in theory be spherical bearing rod ends, they come with both male and female threads
Oh yes just from the small amount of time I've spent with it to far. Its starting to tell a story. Everything seems tight with the custom parts so craftsmanship looks positive, but currently the shock is held at the rear with random bolts and about 20 washers as spacers..... So craftsmanship questionable. Those Spherical bearing rod ends look like they could be something there. I wonder how they got the taper on the tube and be able to thread it in.

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
yep that is rc36 rear wheel from 94-97.

as for tail. go with first choice. the second will ruin the lines of bike and it will look akward...

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0

Reactions: yantosh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm with rex, tail #2 is horrid
yep that is rc36 rear wheel from 94-97.

as for tail. go with first choice. the second will ruin the lines of bike and it will look akward...

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
Yes, I'm with both of you on this. I'm just trying to figure out what tail that is now. I reached out to the author of that article. Super nice guy. He didn't know the make though it came with the subframe. Anyone have any ideas? I have found a couple that I think may work.

1. Honda f4 tail section.

2. SV race tail. Not sure if I like how it extends on the bottom.

3. Another SV that uses the stock seat. Also the cheapest option.

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
i know there are race tails with subframe integrated in them

Reactions: CK 187

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is mine with a redback gen3 headers
I was wondering about the headers on these bikes? I think I read that the engine is basically unchanged on many years of this bike? Things like fuel injection was added.... My question is, is there any headers/exhaust that would work with the single sided swing arm? I was trying to search on the forum one day to see if anyone had figured this out before me but I was unable to find anything. Does anyone know. Any year headers work for this bike?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to change the header mounting brackets and shorten one pipe a little so it wasn't a straight bolt on but close.
I am told gen2 systems don't clear a gen 1 frame?
Ebay has dual systems for the gen1

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
I think you're on the right path with the search for a tail...that bobbed up bobber is terrible. I think you might find that those race tails may be larger than you think. I think the smaller bikes...gp bikes like the rs 125 or 250 have a cool tail if I remember correctly. Just thought I'd point that out in case you didn't know. Those early/mid 2000's sportbike tails can be LARGE. And your bike is rather minimalistic in its build. No need for a whale tail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts