Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first bike that I'm planning on turning into a street fighter, A lot of the stuff that people do with SV650's have already been done. The bike has already had the following done:

1.SV650 Gen2 cams installed
2.Carbs rebuilt
3.Carbon fiber gas tank
4.Yoshimura full exhaust
5.Apex Rearsets
6.Fox aftermarket rear shock
7.2002 GSXR1000 front end
8.2006 GSXR750 rear wheel
9.Lightened rear rotor
10.Vapor gauge
11.New fuel pump installed with carbon fiber tank
12.Almost new chain and sprocket -- about 250 miles on them
13.Stainless brake lines front and rear
14.SV Racing frame sliders

However I want to make the bike my own, I have a list of things I want to do
1. Renthal low handle bars-along with Risers
2. Bar End mirrors
3. Back Seat
4. Back Pegs
5. 12-Volt Charger
6. GPS+Mount
7. Move Ignition

Some questions I had were theres a tube thats coming out of the top of the tank and going into the triple clamp. Im guessing this is a tank vent hose I was wondering If I got something like this off of Amazon if it were to work the same?
http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Tank-Vent-Valve-Silver/dp/B003O6RPJG
Along with this, does it matter how long I have the hose or no?

Secondly Ive looked at a great deal of post with people drilling through there triple clamp. Being in college currently I don't have access to a lot of tools. I was wondering If someone had a set available with some risers that I could buy or I saw That Greencheezeeta used some dirty bars and cut them in half and used them with clip on clamps. I feel as though the second way is cheaper but any advice at what I should do.

Third, When buying stuff like bar end mirrors and If I decided to change out my levers does it matter if I get the cheap china stuff or is it worth it in these situations to spend the extra money.

Im hoping once the weather gets a little bit nicer here in Michigan to take the bike out and get some pictures up we shall see how long that takes though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you live in the US, but i have a drilled 'triple' with risers knocking about, i just bought a CNC'd one to replace it.

your other option is to get the top triple from a naked model , which already has the risers.
Thanks for thinking about that the only problem is that I have the GSXR Front end. Im thinking that I'm going to get around to drilling them myself however right now the bike is riding real nice and its actual warm enough to ride!

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum. I have a 2000 SV650 with a K4 GSX-R front end on it myself. Never one to miss out on a chance to whore my work out, I suggest you take a look at my 2012 buildoff build thread in my sig for ideas and how to's. Anyways If youve got a good engineering tape measure that reads in millimeters, a dremel and a drill press(or hand drill if youre good enough and patient) then drilling holes in the top triple is pretty straight forward and wont leave your bike offline for more than a day. With these top triples in particular though, you really are gonna want to make some backing plates to go on the bottom side of the triple to reinforce the holes. The aluminum top triple is thin and given the right conditions, can definitely crack or break under load which will just fuck your day right up.

I sculpted my backing plates from some 1/8" scrap aluminum that I carved out and smoother like two jigsaw puzzle pieces. Theyre in the build thread, youll see what I mean. Anyways if you need any advice or anything then feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone for the Help! Ive actually been able to pick up a pre-drilled Top Triple clamp. I am right now looking for some risers as well as some bars. Im guessing stock clipons are ⅞ correct?
Schools finishing in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to be able to take a lot of the bike apart and clean everything and get rid of junk sitting around. Im also hopefully going to tidy up some wires. Any advice as I prepare to do this?
Also heres a picture of my baby as she sits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.