Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I'm new here but already I feel inspired to work on my bike more!

I'm currently working on my '87 ex500 ninja and it's headed for streetfighter as time and money allow. for now I've got it in the garage with no fairings and the front end stripped.

While I was working on it I noticed the back shock is doing odd things under rebound, mainly sticking. being the bike has over 30,000 miles on it I'm not sure if its the linkage hanging or the shock failing, but either way I'd like to bring the rear end up some. I see some people using the Sv650 shock on the 250's, is there any reason it wont fit on the 500? would it be a good idea to install a steering stabilizer to help with the increased rake?

thanks for the help, folks. I'll put up pics when the bike is good enough to look at :D

on a side note, I need a really cheap spray gun to do the tank and tail fairing with, anyone used the $20 central pnumatic gun from harbor freight?

thanks again!
-Jack

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
dont know anytrhing about shocks but i do the gun. if its the purple one in a yellow box. i get about 5 good paint jobs out of mine and then the thinner eats the seals. but one a year its still worth it.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
in regard to shocks, I'd check the fische on ronayers.com to compare where the shock is attacked on both the 250 and 500.

I just sold my sv650 shock for $25 shipped. Alot of the sv650 guys swap in GSXR and 636 shocks so they have the stock just layin around. I'm sure if you go to one of the SV650 forums, you'll have someone offering their shock. Just respond with $25 shipped. It atleast gets the shock off their shelf.

I'm sure there's a forum for the ninja 500's, see if they know anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The forks are seriously soft, I suspect the springs and valving are shot too. As time allows I'll have them rebuilt, any reccomendations for valving/springs? I'm a 190lb guy.
Thanks,
Jack

·
890 Posts
If you're going to search the SV forums for a rear shock, why not get an SV front end as well? There's lots of SV guys slotting in USD front ends from GSXR's , so it stands to reason there'd be a lot of SV fronts laying around in sheds waiting for a new home.

And welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing an EX fighter (can't say I've seen one).

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
+1

while the sv's may be somewhat lacking for most people....imagine what an ex's is like.

but since you stated money is a concern. mbe fork oil will do you some good.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
throw some 80 weight in there :metal:

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first bike was EX500 and I did a good bit of custom work to it (FZR swingarm, F3 rear wheel, F2 forks, etc.). Whatever you, don't put a fork from another bike on your EX500, it will handle like shit. Most modern forks are too stiff for the EX's old flexy frame and will cause the front end to "push" making you run wide on corner exits.

Take it form a guy who spent way too much money on an out-dated bike (no offense). Replace the rear shock with one from an SV650, get stiffer springs and heavier fork oil, and some sticky tires. A fork brace from Telefix will help and so will a braided front brake line. Other than that, strip off the plastics and ride.

If you've got other EX500 questions please ask, I've got a boat load of info on them. By the way, here's a couple shots of my old EX; really wish I hadn't parted her out.

Attachments

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
IndySV1K said:
My first bike was EX500 and I did a good bit of custom work to it (FZR swingarm, F3 rear wheel, F2 forks, etc.). Whatever you, don't put a fork from another bike on your EX500, it will handle like shit. Most modern forks are too stiff for the EX's old flexy frame and will cause the front end to "push" making you run wide on corner exits.

Take it form a guy who spent way too much money on an out-dated bike (no offense). Replace the rear shock with one from an SV650, get stiffer springs and heavier fork oil, and some sticky tires. A fork brace from Telefix will help and so will a braided front brake line. Other than that, strip off the plastics and ride.

If you've got other EX500 questions please ask, I've got a boat load of info on them. By the way, here's a couple shots of my old EX; really wish I hadn't parted her out.

That looks really good, my brother has a ex500 too, good stuff!

Nate

·
410 Posts
http://www.ex-500.com/

Of course there is a forum just for them...I recently became a member since I am rebuilding one for a friend...but he won't let me fighter it yet. Then again, he hasn't seen mine either, so who knows...it would be less for me to paint!

As for your forks, I remember people used to put a 1" piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe in the top to stiffen up the forks...never heard any problems. I was going to do it on my ZX6D, but never got around to it!

And if you are fightering it...you don't happen to have a '94+ upper laying around do ya??:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, I'm glad to know I'm not high on exaust fumes for streetfighting a ex500.:party: Pics to come.
Second, I do have a '97 frontend (lights and speedo/tach) lying around.:D
Third, CUT THE PIPES. Really, 2 cylendars and 1/2 an exhaust sounds great and turns more heads than my Trip.:rock:
Fourth, I have the SV shock but ist is not installed. Other exxers have done it and it works.
Last, the PVC tip is awsome. Thanks.
-me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.