Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since the CBR got finished (I know they're never really finished, but still), I've been bored as piss in the evenings, and I've realised I only have one bike. So I've bought a wee SV650 to tidy/chop up:

It needs a bit of work to get an MOT, but it runs and works. For a 2009 model I couldn't pass it up for £900! It mainly needs parts refitted, and everything's there; exhaust, seat etc.

Plans are to get it running as a daily while I gather parts and figure out what tail section I'm going to stick on it. I want a daily streetfighter that I won't be too precious about :D

·
ไบรอัน
804 Posts
Like those later ones with the black frame and love the blue,bargain at that price. Colour matches a wee 65 plate Sandero project I've just picked up, diesel and nae road tax :party-smiley:

Does need a front though

·
Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
Meh, I basically just used what scrap I had laying around at the garage. I know it's ridiculously overkill what comes to material thickness but I fucking hate wobbling headlights. And for all those gram-wankers, I couldn't give a toss what it weighs. Does it's job and cost me a can of black paint. Done, on to the next one.

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Meh, I basically just used what scrap I had laying around at the garage. I know it's ridiculously overkill what comes to material thickness but I fucking hate wobbling headlights. And for all those gram-wankers, I couldn't give a toss what it weighs. Does it's job and cost me a can of black paint. Done, on to the next one.

·
Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
I'm so salty I can go diving in the dead sea :D

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
did you left unpleasant stains on seat? or at least in pants?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it out at work today and can't get it back into neutral. Tried adjusting the clutch action as per the manual but still no dice. Anything in particular to check for? Never had gear problems before

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot I had a thread for this!
So after sighing at the damage on the CBR, my dad came to the shop to see how my mate who crashed it was doing (broken collarbone). Before leaving the shop I mentioned the SV wasn't going into neutral and he mentions it would be daft if someone had fitted the gear lever linkage upside down. That was the problem, the cheeky cunt :D it's alright now. So I just need to replace the battery, stick a headlight on it, MOT it and see if I can wheelie!

·
Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
You know what, although I`m assuming deliberately for track usage, that`s exactly what was done to my Tornado too :D Was a bitch to get to neutral by kicking it down, flipped the lever on the shaft and bam instant neutral every time.

Reactions: Natan

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
the downside to running the knuckle upside down is that in a crash it's more likely to hit the ground, and has been known to bend the rod (requiring splitting the cases to fix)

Reactions: Natan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, shit, I've only gone and actually started working on this bike :D

Removed subframe and headlight, started marking up wires and stuff.

Pulled off the super fucked oil cooler and rusted-through oil lines that for some reason still cost like £100 second hand.

Picked up a new Abba stand but don't have the adapters yet, so had to improvise! Need to investigate the leaking fork seal that hasn't even done 50 miles.

I believe this was the culprit. Dings that haven't broken the chrome, but before I sanded them (pre photo) there were a few sharp raised edges.

Cleaned them up and sanded the edges off. The chips are still there but much harder to feel. Ive tried pumping the fork up and down and can't find any more leaking oil so that's a good sign, right? Replaced the seal last night and going to rebuild it today.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Bam! Race subframes fitted. Going to be making a road-legal minitwin replica type thing.

Did the other fork seal after I noticed a bit of misting on the tube. Cleaned up a couple of dings on it which probably marked the seal. Both tubes are a bit scored up and down - nothing I can feel but the marks are visible. Hopefully they'll last until I can shoehorn a GSXR front end in there!

Started cleaning the fork legs up for some paint. Can't go wrong with satin black, says I.

I'll do the bottom yoke while I'm at it. It's pretty foosty.

·
1,533 Posts
paint those fork lowers black please. who makes a black frame and swingarm and leaves the forks silver? dickheads, that's who.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts