Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
all the pics I'm seeing show 2nd gens as having silver lowers even if the frame is black. I agree it makes no sense.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Both forks are now ready for primer and paint. Couldn't find wire brushes to get into the bottom yoke (what a shit state it's in!) so I've doused it in harpic. Hopefully that'll attack the worst of it.

·
1,533 Posts
yeah just had a discussion with Sergei last week. building a black n blue 2g. I'm pushing it out the door, but for a personal bike nahhhh son.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got some more done last week but I've been away for the weekend.

Painted the forks and yoke. Also bought paint and clear coat for the wheels but I've still got to rub them down yet.

Looking much better. I should have done matte instead of satin black to match the frame though

Fit the clock to the new front bracket. The wiring doesn't quiiite fit (seems a bit of a stretch), but it'll be getting modified anyway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Managed a whole 30 minutes sanding the wheel for paint before I snapped and phoned the powder coater!

Some high-tech bearing removal equipment was employed. New ones ordered for much cheapness online!

Trying a new place this time. Should have them back for the weekend.

Scraped some of the dirt, flaking paint and corrosion off the swing arm. Snapped the bolt head off the hugger/brake line mount and there was hella corrosion underneath. It's almost 3mm deep at the worst points so I'm just going to replace the swing arm to be safe.

Bargain!

How she currently sits. Hopefully the parts list won't get too much bigger, but we all know how that always turns out :D

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
that thirty quid woulda been easily lost on sand paper/paint removal/new paint, probly even more. Good decision IMO.

Reactions: Natan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
that thirty quid woulda been easily lost on sand paper/paint removal/new paint, probly even more. Good decision IMO.
Cheers, that's what I was thinking. Plus, by the time I'd buffed it clean enough for paint, it'd have been real thin at that point!

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
not gonna send the new swingarm to the powdercoater with the wheel?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was just going to paint it like I did the forks, just to help keep costs down. Seems a shame not to though, seeing as it's out...I'll get a price for it anyway

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm looking to ditch the standard oil cooler - finding replacement parts and lines is a bit of a pain. I see a lot of the track guys remove theirs as well.
Anybody know if they just plug the holes? I was going to get a hose made up just to basically loop it out?

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
do they really remove them? 1st gens don't have oil coolers period but I hadn't heard of people pulling them off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah seen a few of the minitwin guys do it. Seemingly there's a cap screw behind the oil filter that you remove to allow the oil to bypass the cooler once the outlets are plugged

·
1,533 Posts
do they really remove them? 1st gens don't have oil coolers period but I hadn't heard of people pulling them off.
sergei said it doesn't matter, and racers and backyard builers do it on wrecks, never heard of anyone having an issue. both plug and bypass.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts