Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've been lazy lately!
I'm going to bypass it and fit an oil temp gauge, just to see how it goes.

Forgot to mention, finally got a little lathe and milling machine in the garage! Build potential is now raised. Started by having some speed holes milled in the heel plates (I got my dad to do these as he knows how to work the machine better than I do, lol).

Got some stuff painted. Not the best finish but it'll be tidy once it's all on.

Got the front wheel on. Still haven't painted the new swing arm yet! Once I do that I can get it rolling and start snipping wires.

Think my bodywork is coming around halfway through this month. I keep forgetting I've ordered it!

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
Yeah, mills are a wonderful addition to any shop. Even a tiny one is way better than not. My first one I could pick up...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got sidetracked again! This time I finally managed to nab a turbobrick!

Got the swingarm removal bits for the abba stand. Super handy.

Aaaaand soundly defeated by super corroded exhaust and suspension bits. Got the shock out and swingarm moving. Got fed up and called it a day. The grinder is coming out it in the morning. Life's too short :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I haven't been on here in ages!

Two KTMs later, and the corona virus lockdown means I should really stay in and get another bike going.

One year on, I finally painted that swing arm :D

Still haven't fitted it though...

Sold the race front end and kept the subframe and tail section, along with the custom seat I had made up. Should get my new headlight, top yoke with risers, and drag bars over the next day or two!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Made a tool for the swing arm:

Started pulling it so I could fit the painted arm and clean/paint the linkage gubbins:

Immediately defeated by the most seized up link in history. Replacement ordered!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got the replacement linkage and freed it up a bit. Painted it and the lever arms and cleaned up the bolts and finally fitted the swing arm that's been waiting a year :D

Rolled her outside for some daylight photos!

I'm going to pull the lithium battery from the CBR and try to fit it in the subframe tomorrow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Got the oil cooler bracket and hose fittings painted up then fitted everything.

I need to figure out how to stash a battery in here. I've no facility to weld aluminium so I might rivet something together.

Hanged the new headers on to get a look. Think the bracket might need some re-drilling to line up. Haven't fitted properly cause I forgot to buy gaskets and bolts at the same time. Oops!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So I actually started working on this again a while ago but to convert it to a track-only bike to join some friends who got right into their track days.

Mocked up with the subframe and a little tray for the ECU and stuff. Also packed up the seat pan a bit so the fibreglass isn't rattling off the aluminium.

Test fit with the tail, 'silencer' and bracket.

Made up a link pipe for it (this is attempt no. 2 after some idiot made one up without test fitting the pegs...).

As it sits on the bench currently with most of the loom and electrics removed and bypassed. I've had it started up and it sounds rather throaty! Need to finish some connections and mill a few idiot light holes into the top triple before the loom is complete.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Finished the soldering and stuck the loom in. Popped the tail and tank on and tightened up the exhaust clamps so I could fire it up.

It sounds tits!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to this forum and wanted to thank you for an entertaining thread! I was thinking, "man! That's one fucked up SV! How did it get so shitty! Was it recovered from a shipwreck?" And then I saw you write "cheeky cunt!" and realized you're in England and everything made sense. I've never seen rust and corrosion like that on a bike! Insane!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah it was bad even for a Scottish bike. I think it sat out in someone's garden for a long time

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
Got sidetracked again! This time I finally managed to nab a turbobrick!

that a 740? I had a 1990 740 turbo, loves that car. it just ate abuse and neglect like a starvin marvin.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It was a 940 turbo that briefly sported a silly turbo, but I couldn't get it running right and found a load of structural rust so broke it for parts.

Was worth it for the glorious startup photo though:

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
That fireball!!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts