Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 cbr600rr, and i also have (most of) a zx9r i was gonna rebuild bit plans changed and i'm gonna part out eventually. But anyways, i eventually want to swap USD forks onto the cbr and was planning on cbr1000 forks but i realized that the zx9r forks are USD. So question is, would there be any adverse effects to swapping those on (i plan on having some custom triples made for either swap i do so i can plan for the stem to fit them when i do). Also the brakes are 6 pot tokico and i will rebuild them to make sure they are good to go. What do people think about them? I've heard people hate them and swap to nissin 4 pots. So lemme know

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

G

·
The 9 forks are great imo but the 6 pots are crap, theres no feel at all, nissing 4 pots are far better more progressive with more feel, just as powerful & less prone to siezing up

just my opinion

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The zx9r forks are from a 97 btw i forgot to mention that. Are the 4 pots just a better more updated design? They are just what came with the bike thats why i have them but if need be i'll sell them off and upgrade. If i'm gonna do it i want to do it right and bullet proof

G

·
The 4 pots are actually an older design but they got it right, the 6 pots were supposed to be an upgrade on the newer models but most prefer the 4's for the feel

TBH if it was me i'd just go with what i had & you can always change later when a set of 4 pots turn up at the right price, its not like its a big job to swap them over

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true, i was looking at the caliper swap thread and there are alot that are basically a direct swap so i may do that. Rebuild em, clean em up, use em, and swap for brembo's down the road :-D

·
890 Posts
The last zx9 (03) came out with 4 pot calipers instead of the 6 pot ones that they ran for all the other years.

First gen zx9 forks are probably a step backwards - if you were going USD you'd probably want radial caliper forks for a real "upgrade".

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last zx9 (03) came out with 4 pot calipers instead of the 6 pot ones that they ran for all the other years.

First gen zx9 forks are probably a step backwards - if you were going USD you'd probably want radial caliper forks for a real "upgrade".

So your basically saying my first choice of cbr1000rr forks would be the better choice? I did a little researching and saw that most if not all are radial mounted.

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
The 1000rr forks should drop right in
And are fairly cheap and the factory brakes are awesome on them..
I've got an 06 Cbr600rr that had 1000rr front forks on it
I got hit and it twisted the forks
When I bought replacement 600 fortks I was shocked they didn't fit
Got the 600 tripple to match and that's what I'm riding on now
Since then I've bought the replacement 1000 forks and cannot wait to go back to them
I'm right at 200 pounds and the 600's feel too soft for me and I have them at almost full stiff
Just food for thought
Think the 1000's have a lil more rake and it's more stable at high speed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would i still have to change the stem for the 1000 forks? And thanks for all the tips, i think i'm going to sell off all the zx9r parts and buy the 1000rr forks and a few other parts i want to swap on

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
I didn't have to do a stem swap on my 06
And if I remember right the 05-60 is a drop in for the 03
Go double check with allballs if the bearings fit you should be golden

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts