Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 18gal plastic tote full of chips and stringy ribbon swarf both aluminum and some steel that I need to get rid of. How do you home machinists get rid of your swarf? I don't really just want to throw it out in the garbage but it's not enough to try and recycle.

Later, Doug

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
That actually sounds like a lot. We have less than 5 gallons worth at the community workshop.

Depending on where you live, if you put it out on the curb / alley in an open container it might be gone in hours or days. In most urban areas, there's lots of guys who scratch by (or even make a decent second income) scrounging and recycling. They tend to take anything not nailed down that has a moderate aluminum or copper content.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sebwiers,

I totally forgot about the scrap metal vultures around here. The aluminum takes up a lot of volume but doesn't weigh a lot. I'll just find an old cardboard box and set it out on the curb.

Thanks.

Later, Doug

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
My local scrap place pays less then the scrap steel price when it's Al and steel mix so I always bring it into work and put it in the dumpster with all the other chips.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
We had some scrap guys get in a fight out by our dumpster. apparently theres scrapper turf wars

·
10,743 Posts
local scrap guys drive about looking for stuff, bet you could find phone numbers , course i'd be wary of inviting them to your home where you keep all your stuff

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I never let any strangers know where I live. If I sell anything on Craig list I always meet them in town. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I work way to hard for what I have to advertise it to a stranger.

Reactions: shinyribs
1 - 10 of 10 Posts