Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot of the info on the site! really great site you have here! From Brisbane, Australia and this is 6th project bike, but the most custom fabrication / modifying i have done on a bike to date.

i am currently doing a swing arm / rear wheel swap on a 1985 honda cbx750 RC17. I am using a cbr1000f swing arm and a 94 cbr900 rear wheel with a 180 tire. All that info I obtained from other RC17 owners and forums, but no one has any pics of the finish product or a detailed breakdown of what has to happen. So with that being said, I am going to be flying blind. as you can see in the pics, it all fits.... that being said, i have to machine the sprocket carrier, and use a 8mm offset sprocket, which i will have to fabricate myself. I have a few questions that are outside my knowledge bracket and would like some opinions on them.

I have been using straightedges to align the front and rear wheels, and have it down to the mm, which i think is pretty darn close for a 28year old bike. I would really like this all to work out so i can do a bit of a thread for anyone who would like to do this mod too.

First Question :So as i said, the front wheel / rear wheel line up. When i string a line through the center of the headset, and through the center of the rear wheel, the frame looks to not be straight. i have about 8mm running out along the frame. Were frames in the 80's dead straight? the bike hasn't been crashed or dropped, and when i measure each side to pivot points/handlebar ends/ axles, Im within 2mm. does this affect geometry and handling?

My other question is as you can see in the pics, the wheel, when centre to the front wheel is around 10mm off centre to the swing arm at the axle hole, but then around 5mm off center to the swingarm at the pivot point. I understand that the swing arm most probably be different each side - due to spacers, caliper hangers and the like but is this an issue. obviously it makes the bike look asymmetrical from the rear but again, is this ok?

Hopefully you guys can tell me that it looks all good and that i am being too fussy for an old bike like this haha.

any information or opinions would be great!
thanks, Ryan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Wallzy I know this is a long time ago but did u manage to achieve this, started something similar myself, 900 wheel but with standard swingarm, struggling with space, did the 1000f swingarm fit in ok ? Thanks Po

·
Super Moderator
3,058 Posts
Hi Wallzy I know this is a long time ago but did u manage to achieve this, started something similar myself, 900 wheel but with standard swingarm, struggling with space, did the 1000f swingarm fit in ok ? Thanks Po
That was his first and only post so you’re not going to get an answer.

Post up in the Streetfighter Help section with pics and maybe someone can help out.

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187
1 - 5 of 5 Posts