Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new to the streetfighter scene and was wondering if a Vfr 800 sssa can be fitted to a 93 fireblade? I understand that a Vfr 750 94-97 swingarm is the favourite however the 800 was bought in error..? All help and advice/pics appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys thats been a major help as well as reassurance that its not a total loss...will post pics as soon as bike looks something close to finished....besides that I want to wait until its completed with hydrodipped tank, wheels, panels etc.... helps when you own a hydrodipping company lol

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
ratfighter use a vfr800 SSSA on his 1st gen fireblade, try check his build thread for more detail
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61093

Damn this reply got long, in short, you have to modify the frame in a way I didn't want to spread the knowledge of as something people would consider standard procedure, and I wouldn't do it a second time around either. It was just one of those things where it all fell into place after a few screw ups.

I honestly didn't detail the swap due to how involved it was, and I hate to say it, but I don't trust people to follow my line to perfection with how I accomplished it since it was more or less a series of mistakes that ended up fitting it in the first place. Lets just say the OP would be best off selling the 800 setup and recouping as much money as possible and buying a 750 swingarm.

It's about that time, once again, to inspect the old WBRW for stress fractures, and I'm still not convinced it will hold up forever. And everybody that ever owned it since it was built has been explicitly warned of the way it was done not being standard to how a SSSA swap is done in the first place.

Seriously, use CBRRRT's writeup, step by step, and you will never regret it. The guy even has a downloadable PDF file with pictures and process outlined perfectly. :)

I suppose I'll finally let it out how I got that 800 arm into the 1st gen blade... it wasn't pretty.

Basically, if I remember right, (and this isn't instructions either!) you have to take 7mm off the chain side lug, 11mm off the opposite side lug (off the frame pivot lugs where the swingarm pivot bolt goes through, truly a shit idea and dangerous as all hell in most builders opinion!), take 3mm off the chain side of the swingarm itself, and 4mm off the opposite side of it too, turn down the 900RR swingarm adjuster by something like 8mm, have a center bushing machined that spans the gap where it usually bolts to the engine of the VFR800, and then, only then will it fit.

The skeletal structure of the inside of the frame around the lugs was filled with aluminum plate and somewhere around here on CF I think it was FSLFlint (possibly spelled wrong?) suggested a VERY durable two part epoxy for bonding aluminum as I didn't want to stress the cast bit of frame by having it welded. And that pretty much beefed up all the area around the thinner pivot points on the frame itself. But still, it's scary to think of how much material was removed and how much had to be done to counter the possibility of structural weakness.... and even then, some would still say it was a bad idea. I wouldn't be inclined to argue against that either.

It was prototype shit to say the least, and if I had it to do over again I would happily buy a 750 arm and just do it right. The only wheel that runs strait on the thing is a VFR800 wheel as well, and finding a good one isn't cheap either.

My aggravation with my old CBR not being taken care of is that alot of what was done hadn't been done before, likely for good reason, and religious inspection and maintenance is key to catching a problem before it happens. I've been hanging onto a spare 900RR frame should the next owner discover a crack, I would replace the frame for free with a stock swingarm and rear wheel. Neither have discovered an issue, but stress forces, like a river over a rock, will erode it away over time and you never know what can happen in the long run.

I truly understand the aggravation of not getting the right swingarm, trust me, I bought a Hawk GT swingarm, didn't fit, took a loss on it, got a Triumph SSSA, didn't fit, pulled the VFR750 drive out of it and sent it off to UltimateFighter so he could build a tube SSSA, and bought a VFR800 arm.

The modification I had started doing in order to fit the Triumph arm was what turned into the right bit of modification to fit the 800 arm. It was all by mistake, and it was all done in an attempt to not pay the price for a proper 750 arm. Seeing what it took now, the 750 arm is cheaper in the long run. :nuts:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys first of all thanks for all the help but it looks like the vfr 800 swingarm is a no go. Therefore my next question is which vfr 750 swingarm is the right one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well...so far so good....swingarm in now the big decision..what wheel to put in.? Obviously this affects the spacers required on the spindle, however Im thinking about something like a 200 rear wheel.. Any ideas what wheel will accomodate this..
thanks for all help so far , been invaluable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts