Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all in CustomFighter-land.

I have my first riding season almost under my belt on the SV. And with the cold weather approaching sooner then it does for our neighbors in the South, I've started to plan a couple of mods for the winter.

Yes, I know about the Winter Build-off, but my skills and my projects are no where near what it would take to play with those guys. (I'm not being modest, I really am that bad.)

So, this is what I have planned:

- new front signal lights
- new rear signal lights
- new plate holder
- bar end mirrors (my wife stole my stock ones for her scooter.)

and if I'm feeling Adventurous...

- chopped stock can
- relocate key ignition
- new headlight
- new gage (or modify the stock one.)

... but those are a ways down the road as yet.

I've been lurking in a bunch of threads and have a bunch of ideas based off of others hard work. (plus, I stole pics too!!) I'll try and give credit for the ideas to the people who came up with them first, but if I forget, or can't remember the person's name then it's not meant deliberately.

Stay tuned to this station for more updates, a lot of swearing and stupid questions, and a couple of pictures of an untalented man, with no garage and only a pockets worth of tools trying to make his way in the Fighter-World.

:thumbsup:

and for no reason at all, here's a picture of me as a zombie!

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
FIRST PROJECT:

New front signal lights.

Now, to be honest, I'm totally stealing the idea from Qwiksand's 1999 sv650 build thread. And continued here too. BUT, he did it on a gen1 SV, and I'm doing it on a gen2... so that makes it totally different. (right?)
:doh:

Anyway, here's some pics.

This is the office / garage that I have to work with.

As you can see, I'm more of a computer guy, then a 'garage' guy. But it's what I have to work with. :shocker: And I just noticed, the laptop in the pic is showing Qwiksand's build thread. (Linked above.)

and here's the concept. (thanks Qwidsand!!)

here's a close up of the parts.

I got the lights at Princess Auto, they were about $10 each. Six LED's in each light, sealed from water and slime (I'm just guessing about the slime though) and only one wire to connect.

I still have to mount the light to the plate, and then mount the plate to the radiator guards, and then wire the whole thing. But that's for tomorrow. Now I have to eat some nachos and watch the Cleveland Show.

Sympul!

Reactions: n0regret5

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As requested, here's my bike as she stands now.

More pictures when there's progress.

Sympul

Reactions: Shmitterton

·
Sparky
517 Posts
That muffler is crying to be shortened up.... reminds me of the potato launcher i made when i was a kid lol.
Clean SV thou, nice place to start. What part of ontario are you in??

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking good man. your sv is in way better shape than mine that's for sure.
Thx Polecat! I still wish I paid for mine what you paid for yours.

ASM:
Ottawa Ontario.

Yea, the muff is pretty fugly. The PO has punched out all the baffles so it rumbles like a beast. I'd like to shorten it up though to make the space between the rear wheel and the tail a bit more dramatic. Maybe this Winter when I'm home and pestering the wife and she threatens to leave me again if I don't stop bugging her. :thumbsup:

Girls, they're so touchy.

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More PICTURES! ... and the progress that follows them.

So, I went and got a couple of bolts and mounted up some plates to the rad guards.

the first thing I learned was that I can't drill a fucking hole straight, or measure worth a fuck. I'll have to learn this quick, or I'll be going through parts like a fat kid. (because they break shit.)

So, I just took a round file and 'massaged' the holes (ha!) till they were loose enough for my shaft. (hahahahaha!!):shocker:

Because the plate is offset, (because the light is a little large for the space I have available) I had to use one of the main mounting bolts, and another bolt to anchor the light. The second bolt stuck out a little at the end, so I chopped it off like Lorena Bobbit with a Dremel tool.

Here's the crime scene photos:

So now the light is on the plate, and the plate is on the rad guards.
Here's how it looks on the bike:

and from the front

and the rear

and from the Driver's POV

I'm going to leave it connected and ride for the rest of the week like this to see if there's any issues. This weekend I'll tear into the wiring and connect them up to the blinkers, see how they perform and then exile the stock ones.

yay!!

Sympul

Reactions: Fight Everything

·
Never Enough
1,258 Posts
:thumbsup: looking good the more I see this on yours and qwiksand's bikes the more I think I am going to do it if I can't get some signals to look good mounted up on my headlight bracket.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, that is an awesome idea for front signals. I just may have to steal that idea for my Sabre!
DO IT!

...original credit goes to Qwik though.

I'm not sure how it's going to work with the wireing, or if it's going to suck when it's all fired up and on the road... but Satan hates a coward!

:D

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:thumbsup: looking good the more I see this on yours and qwiksand's bikes the more I think I am going to do it if I can't get some signals to look good mounted up on my headlight bracket.
I'll let you know how it works out this weekend-ish. (depending on weather, and my G.A.F. factor once Saturday rolls around.)

Give
A
Fuck.

:shocker:

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More stuff!!

So, I rode around today with the new lights on, but not connected. They held up great! No wiggle, no cracks and they didn't melt from the heat (outside temp was 43 Celsius with the humidity factor) of the radiator! I'm totally ripping into the wires this weekend. Unless it rains, then I'll bitch and moan all weekend.

New Stuff!!

I've been riding around sans mirrors since the wife stole my stock ones for her scoot. I kind of liked it. Made me really look in my blind spots and I felt like I was just generally more aware of what was going on around me. (could be bullshit though) I've been looking at bar end mirrors, but I have no experience with them, and don't know anyone who has a set at work so I could ask about them. I figured that a cheap bicycle mirror would do me till I make the decision, and it's only $20.00.

This is what I picked up.

They look a little awkward, but it turns out you don't need the fugly arm coming off the end. This is how I mounted it.

Straight off the bar. The mirror is glass, but the rest is plastic, with brass fittings and stainless screws, so it's not TOO bad. I was able to tighten everything down and it's pretty solid on there now.

After I put everything together, I put on my gear and went for a ride. As soon as I got the gloves on I noticed that the mirror was too close to my hand. So I just flipped it. The mirror portion has the eyelet off center so it got flipped and gave me enough room to work on the bar.

yay!

oh, and I've modded my key too:

:cfrocks:

That's it for tonight, stay tuned for more... and more... and some screwups, and more photos... and a dead baby joke or two... etc, etc...

Sympul!!

Reactions: cage and shotgun

·
Asphalt cowboy.
549 Posts
Sweet idear on the blinkers man.

Can you actually see anything behind you with that mirror at high rpms / freeway speeds?

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can see more then I could when I didn't have any mirrors. :D

In truth, they're a little buzzy. But my stock ones sucked even worse. Once I get up to freeway speeds (and yes, I tried this tonight) they make the lights of the cars behind me dance a little in the mirror, but it's pretty good. At around 8000 rpm's it's not too bad, after that things get worse. I'm not a red-liner, and I think the fastest I've had this girl up to was 160 kmph, so I'm not a +200 kind of guy either. These work pretty well for me as 'trials' before I buy an honest to goodness set of bar end mirrors.

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So, there's been some more progress. See the next post.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Progress on the Side mounted turn signals started today.

I pulled apart the bike and tore into it's face.

This is the light off...

and this is what the guts inside the light look like...

After I got to poking around in there I found the connectors for the turn signals, they didn't look too difficult to pull apart.

Actually, it looked kind of cheap, I think I can do a better job. But that remains to be seen.

Then I pulled the OEM blinkers off, and this is the pic.

It was only after I pulled off the lights that I figured I should label some the the wires and connections. (ha!)
Fortunately I have a keen eye and was able to match the connectors back to the lights they came from and then I did some labeling.

I traced the wires back to the harness under the tank, so I had to take off the side plastics under the seat, take off the seat, lift the gas tank... and then I saw more shit I'd have to move. (like the airbox, and assorted things I didn't want to get into in a simple signal light swap.)

I didn't like that option, so I figured I'd just put the connectors back on, and run another wire to the side mounted turn signals. First though, I wanted to test them so I grabbed a set of aligator clips and hooked everything into the system. Turned on the bike and started to grind my teeth.

The LED lights suck. :mad:

That's it, they just suck. They're weak, and don't show to the front or rear at all like I had hoped. They're pretty pathetic and I sat there and looked at all the work I had gone through to find this out.

I had to count to 10 a couple of times, took some deep breaths and tried to refocus.

Then I felt a drop of rain.

My 'garage' consists of a parking lot, and my office in the house (condo actually). I can't fit a bike in there, and I live on the 3rd and 4th floors respectively. There's no way I'm pushing a bike up 3 flights of stairs. I don't care how hard core you are, that's fuckin' dumb. (Unless you're riding the bike up the stairs, and you're using an Uzi to clear out bad guys as they come after ya!!):shocker:

and then it started to rain in earnest. :doh:

I threw a cover over the bike and grabbed the tools and headed for the landing to the condo. Then I took this picture:

I have video of the blinkers in action, and I'll be loading that up in a couple of moments.

Sympul

·
Never Enough
1,258 Posts
that sucks bro. But that does happen a lot with leds you can remedy the problem by replacing the leds in the light with new ones that have a wider pattern but sometimes that doesn't help either. I would take the light apart and see if anything is covering the side of the leds when they are installed.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts