Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I'm at it again. What am I thinking, using the forums to find out how to do stuff I don't know how to do!

So the real question is... I have a one-piece tail fairing with no mounting tabs on it, and I have to figure out a way to make it mount to the subframe. Can't cut off the old tabs and glue them on, as I am selling the old plastics, but they are more complicated then I know how to make. The mounts on the subframe are rubber grommets, which the fairing pins pop into. What should I use to mount the new tail? Thanks!

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
drill a hole use some rubber gromets and just make some aluminum posts out to where you want the bolts to be a walla

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
That's basically it. Make brackets that go from the subframe to the tail, drill the tail, and hold it all together with nuts and bolts.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, hoping to not have to drill holes in the glass. I'm thinking bending some L-brackets to fit the curve, epoxying them so they fit through the grommets on the frame, and just ziptieing them together. it'll be a PITA to take on and off though...

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
drill it out AND zip tie it!

:rock:

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
honestly having holes in the glass isnt that bad if dont nicely drill a hole use a gromet and some nice tasty nut bolt and it will look good. what tail fairing are you trying to mount and to what subframe some pics might help me

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
You could always epoxy brackets to the backside of the glass and connect those to the rods to your subframe...

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry, this thread is worthless without pics.

here, this tail:

on this subframe:

I guess I could try drilling, but I'm nervous to mess it up and not be able to fix it. hrm. Anyone else have pics of how they have done it, for some ideas? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you know anyone with a riveter u could rivet it to ur brackets. A riveted tail wouldnt look to bad...a kinda rugged look. Then u could just have someone airbrush the tail and make it look like plates of metal all over it riveted together. The second idea might cost a bit but the first idea would be pretty nice...and not so expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts