Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a tail tidy for my mk1 B12 (on it when I bought it), but I want it even cleaner. Looking to transform it into a fighter, and am thinking of an Yamaha R6 tail. I see a lot of people doing this and I like the look.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar mod? Do I need the rear sub-frame from the R6? Or can I work with just the panels and existing sub-frame? I found a set of panels on Craigslist that I am sure I can get for a decent price. As you can probably tell, I am a real newb when it comes to chopping bodywork so any help would be appreciated. Also be interested to hear other Bandit tail options. I am not really interested in a full bob.

Thanks.

·
364 Posts
your better off using
the r6 subframe,will look a hell of a lot better.
cut off the original one and get lugs welded on.
reshape the seat to suit your tank.
alittle bit of work in it but
half arsed will always look half arsed.
rgds

·
364 Posts
thanks FighterMC I will start looking for some R6 crash victims to find a subframe.
best way to go mate.
have a look at my blade it has an r6 tail on it
but i had alot of work in moding the subframe.
you should be ok cos you can put the lugs to suit
i had to go with the hangers on the frame.
best of luck and get some pics up.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
I have done it to my GSXR1100W the bolted on subframe, just got the R6 plastic & made myself a steel subframe, I am getting to the final touches now, pillion pegs, covering up the frame final paint job etc ....
the bandit frame I reckon would be a lot easier to mod it,
drop us a line if you need some guidance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks brother I appreciate the offer for help, and I probably will be taking you up on it. :D What year R6 should I be looking at? Some say 2000 or less?

I just don't want to have to strip the frame bare pull the engine etc. The paint on my frame is mint, and don't have to strip and paint the whole thing if I can avoid it. Banditforum has a decent thread on Froudy's build that has an R6 tail. Now he was swapping the frame anyway cuz his old one was cracked, so he did it with a stripped frame. But if I can do the welds and touch up the lugs without spraying the whole thing it would be best. But if I want it to look good I probably have to repaint the whole thing?? Also I am going to have to do some serious sucking up to my neighborhood welder since I am a spaz at welding.

I looked at your Blade FighterMC. THat thing is f'in awesome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a pic of where the B12 is at now. I know I can chop off those hanging metal loop things on the tail that used to hold the mud guard on. THey don't serve any purpose with the tail tidy kit installed.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Atleast youre workin with a Gen 1... try doin a Gen2.... lol

my Tail Swaps Gonna Be a Bitch...but im doin a Honda Tail and ima try to utilize what i have...

if not i have a tough road ahead of me...

·
Longtime rider
3,115 Posts
Atleast youre workin with a Gen 1... try doin a Gen2.... lol

my Tail Swaps Gonna Be a Bitch...but im doin a Honda Tail and ima try to utilize what i have...

if not i have a tough road ahead of me...
Its not that hard................. you have seen mine and I think it came out well. Getting the Tail seams to be the hard part for you.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Thanks brother I appreciate the offer for help, and I probably will be taking you up on it. :D What year R6 should I be looking at? Some say 2000 or less?

I just don't want to have to strip the frame bare pull the engine etc. The paint on my frame is mint, and don't have to strip and paint the whole thing if I can avoid it. Banditforum has a decent thread on Froudy's build that has an R6 tail. Now he was swapping the frame anyway cuz his old one was cracked, so he did it with a stripped frame. But if I can do the welds and touch up the lugs without spraying the whole thing it would be best. But if I want it to look good I probably have to repaint the whole thing?? Also I am going to have to do some serious sucking up to my neighborhood welder since I am a spaz at welding.

I looked at your Blade FighterMC. THat thing is f'in awesome!
you can, no need to strip the whole bike.

another option other then welding tabs on the frame, you can use the original frame for a start, bend it& shape it the way you want, once you apply heat to metal it will move pretty easy !

jus be careful with wires & other bits you don't want to melt, also make sure you take the fuel tank away from it .

Also the joints on the frame & welds you wanna hide you can use fibreglass to cover ... :D

As for the tail, IMO, the better looking & easier to work with is the 06 / 07 model. this is what i got on my gixxer

But go with pleases you best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts