Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from another board:

if you want to integrate your turn signals into your taillight, here's what you'll need:

(1) Hoppy taillight converter (part # 48845)
(5) Jumper wire connectors (the blue ones)
(2) Zip ties
(2) Wire nuts (not necessary, but looks better)

Tools needed: 12-volt test light (or multimeter), wire cutters and crimpers.

Instructions are attached.

Now, if you do not like the fact that your integrated turn signal flashes twice as fast when the brake is applied, here is the reason and the remedy.
The factory flasher relay has a sensor that detects current change such as a light bulb burning out. If something like this happens, it causes the indicator lamp in your instrument cluster to flash rapidly letting you know that you have a turn signal out. Similarly, when you integrate the signals into your taillight, the relay sees a similar amount of resistance with the taillight bulb acting as your turn signal until you change it's function by applying the brake feeding 12v constant into what is already seing 12v alternating. This action creats a current fluctuation that the stock flasher relay mistakingly sees as a problem, therefore causing the turn signal/taillight to flash 2x fast.

An inexpensive remedy is to purchase a variable load relay from your local auto parts store to replace your stock relay.

Here's what you need:
(1) Tridon (Mfg. Trico) Thermal relay (part #552) 2-prong
(2) Jumper wire connectors OR
(2) Narrow male blade connectors (to insert into factory harness plug)
(2) Short wires (12-16 gauge) approx 3-4" long
(2) Female blade connectors (similar to speaker terminal connectors)

Installation instructions are also in this attachment.

Okay, HERE'S THE DRAWBACK. . .

Since this is a variable load relay, it will not sense if you have a turn signal outage. The rate will flash the same regardless if the turn signal bulb is blown or not. The up side is that the integrated taillight/turn signal will also flash the same regardless if the brake is applied while the turn signal is activated or not.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am working on this right now. I could care less if they blink faster or not. Actually, that would help to get the cager's attention behind me better.
My only problem is that both of the bulbs flash with this setup instead of one or the other. I can't figure out why that is.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
You'll have to wire the whole taillight assembly instead of just splicing the relay in if you want to stop that.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
I know how that is, I spent all night trying to reroute my wiring harness without cutting more than 4 wires.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the two symbols that look like this ---//--- that lead to each stop light mean that the wire is disconnected or cut off right? This might explain my problem. I feel so stupid when it comes to wiring

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Good Link Jesse--->Links section worthy?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
if your blinky is blinking too fast...it means your blinker fluid is low DUH!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
It means LEDs don't have as much resistance as lamps and so they don't create as much heat in the turn signal relay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts