Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
No tails I tells ya, ya see!

To be honest, I'm often torn between the look. I went with a tail on my 92 zx7, but my 87 zx600a I'm going without a tail, as the seat kicks up pretty good at the end and I can fab something to make it look a little more finished. I think the "bobberzzz" look is gaining ground, but its still probably the least popular streetfighter look going, as it really seems to be a love it or hate it thing.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I'm in the minority of those that liked bobbed sportbikes, I like em for the "wrongness" factor, others hate them for the same reason, they never fail to inspire reactions though, and keep in mind, it's just metal, nothing is permanent, enjoy some freedom.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
I actually kind built a tail. I wanted a "wasp shape" profile for the bike, and also a functional rear fender / passenger perch. I don't like the way non-cruiser bobbers look, or the kicked-up tail look either. More a fan of the lower cafe racer and tracker siloettes that carry some body work in the back.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
ill tell u what to do...... get a sport bike, that youre too short to ride (because thats apparently a thing), hack the subframe with an angle grinder, stretch it, and put a shitty 10$ headlight on it.... then post a new thread (because u havent started enough threads in the last few days) saying "hey guys, what u think of my fighter"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill tell u what to do...... get a sport bike, that youre too short to ride (because thats apparently a thing), hack the subframe with an angle grinder, stretch it, and put a shitty 10$ headlight on it.... then post a new thread (because u havent started enough threads in the last few days) saying "hey guys, what u think of my fighter"
I was wondering if and when someone was going to cal me out on all of the questions. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who rides so I have no one I can sit down and bounce questions, stupid or otherwise, off of. Hell, even the couple friends that will be learning to ride with me aren't the type to make any modifications to their stock bikes, beyond maybe new paint, after purchase. Hence bringing my queries to the large online community of people whom have been doing this for years. Destroying a bike and building it into some kind of wreck prone noob scooter is precisely what I'm trying to avoid; thus explaining all of the possibly ridiculous questions.

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
i really got sick of people cutting off the tail, slapping a seat on frame rails and calling it a "bobber"

the entire "bobber" motorcycle thing if its sport bikes or chops is really disgusting and i think ushered in with the economic collapse. when your pay is cut by half OF COURSE LESS IS MORE! morons

i just wish people would be more creative.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I prefer a short tail. (though I've seen some bobbers that pulled off no tail VERY well)
Like monster seat or Buell seat length. Not necesarily no plastic... just an example of length.
A tail that ends somewhere between the rear axle and the back of the tire. If it sticks out as far or farther than the rear tire.... too long.

When I get to it, I'm gonna shorten my tail plastics to be as long as the seat. Hopefully for a subtle... "I don't know what he did to it, but it looks good" kind of reaction. That's my favorite look... carried over from custom trucks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm in the minority of those that liked bobbed sportbikes, I like em for the "wrongness" factor, others hate them for the same reason, they never fail to inspire reactions though, and keep in mind, it's just metal, nothing is permanent, enjoy some freedom.
+1

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
I want to try my hand at a bobber some time down the road...
Out of 1000 of them there are 1 or 2 that look really nice
I just haven't found a set up I think looks nice that I think I can pull off yet...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love the bobbed look.
I dont like tails very much, mostly because it isnt radical enough.

Bobbers on the grand scheme are still relatively unknown...however i cant stand hack jobs and people who cut it down and then leave a huge battery box and wiring under the seat...what is the point and it goes a little against what the bobber stands for.

This is my plan for my bike. Re doing the whole subframe which takes just as much work as a substrame for a tail conversion and in my opinion the only way to do it and pull it off.

I may be bias but i think it looks brilliant. Everything will be tucked under the tank and hidden away. Very clean

·
Chris
1,061 Posts
I like the look when executed well. I also like the look of well executed tails though. Either way you gotta work for it. Hacking off and leaving it looks like shit... everytime. On the other side, slapping some random tail on hardly ever looks "right" without work put into it.

I went tail-less on my bike and think it works.

Riding one on the other hand.....

make sure you have a solid fender setup. The back of my jacket looks about as bad as the front (bugs/dirt/road shit). :doh:

That's my next project, minimal looking yet adequate fenders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts